I like Hammocks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
SBreen, Thank you for your kind words.

Good luck to you and your lady with your imminent birth.

Dont forget to tell us how it goes, and post a pic for our ladies to coo over.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
We had made sure our ashes were out by tipping them out on the concrete and touching them to make sure they wernt hot.

We had washed out our cups and packed up our stoves.

Turned round to see the Police car stop and two officers get out and head our way.

Laughed to myself as I automatically checked through what I was doing and what I had with me to see if I was doing anything wrong. Sort of felt like when mother was on her way for a bedroom inspection when I was a brat.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Couldnt help wondering if these were the ones that stopped me a fortnight ago and gave me a ticket.

Do you stand there and wait, looking at them with your arms folded, or is that going to be seen as looking defiant or confrontataional,

Do you carry on packing up or does that look like you are trying to hide something.....

Couldnt help laughing as I realised that I was thinking all this and they hadnt even arrived.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
"Er....Dad?"

I know. Dont worry. We are fine.

"Oh. Ok."

"Good Morning"

Morning.

"Did you call us?"

Er....No?

"Someone reported someone was setting fire to the place."

Er....Right. (Couldnt stop grinning)

"Have you seen anyone lighting any fires?"

We have just had two.

"Er.....Where?" Looking round for damage - smoke...

On the concrete here with our hobo stoves.

"Hobo Stove. Er.... Whats one of them?"

My kid pulls his out proudly.

"This. I made it!"

"Er...."

"We put cotton wool in it, then paper then twigs and light it to make hot chocolate."

"We have problems with people setting fires...."

Absolutely. Thats why we are here on some wet wasteground, well away from anything that could burn, on a patch of tarmac, which gives another barrier to fire, running these little stoves on the concrete. With water - just in case it manages to get itself out of control. I would much rather my kids learn how to use fire here now at this age than when they are teenagers on the heath.

"We light these with firesteels so the kids so I dont have to let them even have matches."

"Firesteels?"

"Yes. Heres mine." (They looked surprised when my kid started to teach them how to use the firesteels.)

Your turn, I said, sticking some more cotton wool for them to light.

One managed it and got clapped by my kid and I...

"Thank you for that....Well, I have no problems with you using them here, but could you please do it a bit further up there (pointing at the trees), so we dont get any more complaints. If they cant see you they wont complain."

We sat there waving as they got into their car and drove off.

Happy with that.

Hulahoop

Feb 23, 2011
Northampton
Fun story.

I thought you'd appreciate to know that we have a system... if we discover a new post here by you we call out hammocks and on hearing the call, proceed as fast as possible to the thread to read more of your adventures!

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Havent done anything bushcrafty today.

Too tired.

Had to go shopping, so I dropped the kids on the quay, making sure they had their phones so they could call if they had a problem.

Told them to meet me in the shopping centre at the far end of the pedestrian precinct, so they had 1/2 mile of high st to explore without me slowing them down and with no cars to hit them.

They arrives full of stories of the people they had seen and the stuff they saw in the shops.

Some of it I understood, but not all. They have a completely different way of looking at the world from me.

Spent some time sitting in a cafe with them staring at all the passing people.

When I had recovered a bit, I got them to carry the shopping and tried to keep up.

They were so tired they had to run up and down a beach for about half an hour on the way home.

I stayed in the car just feeling worn out watching them.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Spent some time this evening watching my little one sorting out some more buoyancy for the boat he built.

Seems it sits a little too low in the water when he tips it over.

b-dscf3058.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Hes "found some of the polystyrene I had left from the start of Stupid Idea and er.... Borrowed it.

Marking it to length...

b-dscf3060.jpg

Leaving ink all over the back of my saw by using it as a straight edge!

b-dscf3061.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Cutting it....

b-dscf3062.jpg

Turning it so he doesnt cut his deck. Funny how he never remembers when hes resting on someone elses boat.

b-dscf3063.jpg

Marking the other side...

b-dscf3064.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Someone tested his boat for him at the end of last year and said he needs toe straps....

Thinking about where to start them...

b-dscf3075.jpg

Running them back..

b-dscf3076.jpg

Working out where to fix them at the back...

b-dscf3077.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Working out where to fix them to the thwart - the cross bar thing.

b-dscf3079.jpg

Thats it. He had enough. Time to play lego, which means I can go back to sleep!

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I should have added this to the forward planning as its on his list from the beginning of the year and he needs it for when he takes his boat pirating and hammocking during the summer.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Last day of the half term holiday with both of them off.

Er.....

Looks like we are going that way.

b-dscf3080.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE