I have a dream!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hjaltlander

Life Member
Feb 4, 2004
Shetland Isles
Some day, In a perfect world, (which we know it isn't!) i'd like to own a little bit of woodand, not a lot, just enough for a little cottage or log cabin where i can lead a peaceful life.
Somewhere rural, but where it doesn't take a 14 hour ferry crossing to reach civilisation. Maybe within a short driving distance to a shoreline, where you could collect molluscs and bivalves, or do a bit of fishing or set creels.
Or maybe near a lake or river, where you could get a nice trout or salmon, or even a pond where you could attempt to stock it with fish or something.
Also, a place where there is a reasonable amount of wildlife, hares, rabbits or even a pidgeon or two, all for the pot.
To be able to have some form of job, which doesn't take over your life, where you only had to work a week or two a month, but gave you enough money to survive for a little while.
Don't get me wrong, i'd still like my computer and internet, DVD's and hot running water, and maybe a nice holiday most years. But the rest of the time, peace, quiet and honest hard labour would be good for the body and soul.

What do the rest of you think? Anyone else have a dream?

Cheers, Karl

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
sounds perfect maybe i'd have a veg patch and a little live stock
chickens 2 or 3 pigs fantastic maybe when i retire if i last that long
:-D :-D

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Firstly, if you dont do the lottery, start!!
Secondly, keep your fingers crossed.
Thirdly, if it all comes together, dont forget the invites.
:)

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Good idea, but why would you want to go on Holiday??
I have the Sea a mile down the road, the hills behind and the Loch 2 miles up the road .
And People ask me why I don't want to go on holiday as soon as I start to travel South and the roads get busy I want to turn round and come home.
I was actually talking to a neighbour about this and it seems I am not the only one who thinks this way.
We will never be rich but we have what we want so I suppose we are rich in other ways.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Thats my dream too. I'd like it to be on a small island, like you see in the lake district. Some of them even have houses on already. Some people are obviously living the dream.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This is going to upset alot of you but I've got most of that - nice cottage (lodge house really) in a wooded estate. Got a river as well - but I would like to eat anything from the Aire this low down.

And we're 6miles from Bradford, 12 from Leeds and 1 mile form a public road.

Down side - in the middle of a sewage works as well. Not tthat you could tell to be honest.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I'm saving to semi retire in about 4 years time. My son will be 18 and doing his own thing by then and he costs me a fortune as young un's do. I currently work for a Scientific and technical publishing company in customer services and I hate it...... An office of about 120 people and not one I can talk to about bushcraft.
The plan is to buy a little camper van so I've got my transport and accomodation all in one and work a 3 day week with 4 days to travel around do bush crafty things and enjoying nature, with a bit of beachcasting and Bass spinning for good measure. As long as I've got enough to pay the bills that's all I need. I may just travel around and do some pot washing if necessary as long as I've got my freedom (my favourite word in the english language) and am no longer chained to my desk. I've got no debts and no mortgage and that's the way I like it.
We've only got one life and I want live it doing what I enjoy the most. Who needs money :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE