I give it my awl! (Or how to make holes in leather)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
b54426183b842bc587c11f873d85c247.jpg

Thought I'd share some of the ways i make holes in leather for stitching purposes. Note I'm somewhat self taught so there may be better ways or different names for things.

On the left, stitching pincers. I have 2 gauges of these and though they may lack a bit of finesse they make hole making really quick and neat. They are limited by width of the leather and distance from edge.

On the right, top down.

Finger drill. Rarely used these days but good for getting through lots of layers.

Stitching awl. Bought when I knew very little. Useful only really for canvas.

Pricking awl. Good for punching through, Mark making and hole widening.

Adapted "spade end awl" - one bought on this forum (from everything Mac if I recall) as a diamond awl and adapted by myself into a tiny blade end. Probably my most used awl. The spade end cutting edge I put on it is stronger and takes more welly than a standard Diamond awl. It is harder to be accurate with though.

Diamond awl. Very sharp at the tip. Rounded edges further up as to not cut the leather. Good all rounder i have these in several sizes.

Close ups of the 2 awls (Diamond and spade end)
4187df1b8842584fb14074968e22cc31.jpg

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Holes ! :)

something close to my heart and a source of frustration.

I've just spent a day making 3 of these fishing float wallets, I haven't counted the holes but theres lots of them, I first use a stitch groover, then a stitching wheel for the spacing ( 5mm ) then makes the holes in one side with an awl ( like your pricking awl ) then turn the piece over and push through from the other side as well, it takes for ages ! if there's a quicker way of doing it, I'm all ears :)

( this one is fresh off the bench so the holes appear quite big, give it a day and they will close up and look much neater, that's why I use an awl not a drill )

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
One thing I did miss off (as I tend not to use them) are stitching irons. They would certainly make your life easier. They're like a pronged chisel that you bash through with a hammer

I find Diamond awls are easier for hole making than pricking awls.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I used to use an awl, but got a cheap set of pricking irons, the speed difference is well worth getting them, but of course they are a fixed distance.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a shed to play in and the wife keeps well away as it costs her a cuppa to enter.
I do like the look of those pricking plier things though.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Ive never really got on with awls, especially when going through 3 layers on a sheath. The front looks great but the back looks terrible. I use a dart barrel and point in my pillar drill. Slow speed and soap on the point. It gives a much better job than I could ever do by hand.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ive never really got on with awls, especially when going through 3 layers on a sheath. The front looks great but the back looks terrible. I use a dart barrel and point in my pillar drill. Slow speed and soap on the point. It gives a much better job than I could ever do by hand.
That's where the pincers work really well. They pierce front and back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE