I fancy making a box/bench - maybe this Norse design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Mine are used as seats, storage, tables, workbenches, toolboxes and secure lock ups when on site.

There are some in these pictures:

Viking_Boneworker.jpg
borgwork.jpg

bronze.JPG
Grubenhouse.jpg

but I don't have a straight picture of any of them at the moment and it's a major job to get them all out for a shoot.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
The one with the vise? Is the vise built into the box or a separate piece set on top of the box?

I notice all these are flat on top, is that for working surface? Why do you think the antique was rounded?

I think I want one flat on top with a loose lid hollowed inside to be turned over and used as a tray to hold small tools and project parts. I have to think about the vise, I like that but may want to make it removable with storage underneath or on the back.

Thanks greatly for your input and photos.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As stated earlier many of my boxes have removable lids. This meant that by making a new lid with the vice built in, that box then becomes a work bench.

I've often wondered about the curved lids, as a useful surface it is better if they are flat, so there must have been a reason for it.

On a ship or outdoors it would shed water better, which might be the reason.

My first thought was that it was because the timber is split rather than sawn. If you have a wedge shaped piece and shave off on the thick edge, you end up with a curved shape perhaps.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Some pics of the box I had made. I never quite finished it,no hinges or handles. If I remember well, I could not find hinges that I liked at the time. If i was to do this again, I would use more appropriate wood than Mahogany. I would also make a flat top, because I cannot see any reason/use for a rounded top, except what Wayland suggested. A flat top would be much more useful.

DSCN0080.jpg

DSCN0078.jpg

DSCN0077.jpg

The arrows in there are 30" long.

Ice Tigre

Nov 30, 2005
Alaska, USA
Funny that I hadn't thought of this; seems such an obviously good idea. Not the kind of thing I would take to the woods with me. But I like the idea for keeping my carving tools in it; And can take it out to the yard to work.

I've had an idea, for holding blocks for carving etc. a flip-able lid with peg holes on one side, for pegs to hold things in place.(pin vise I believe they're called).

Oooohhh! I could modify it a bit to practice my cutting and dove tail the joints... Sorry, thinking out loud. :)

G.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The advantages of having a curved top are more than just the shedding of water. It can be more comfortable to sit on (no sharp edges), but most useful is the fact that you can't pile stuff up on top of it, then have to move everything off when you want to get inside. I have a number of flat top boxes and they all get stuff piled on top so invariably I am spending a lot of time just moving piles of stuff off one box onto another just to get one item out.

Eric

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
As stated earlier many of my boxes have removable lids. This meant that by making a new lid with the vice built in, that box then becomes a work bench.

I've often wondered about the curved lids, as a useful surface it is better if they are flat, so there must have been a reason for it.

On a ship or outdoors it would shed water better, which might be the reason.

My first thought was that it was because the timber is split rather than sawn. If you have a wedge shaped piece and shave off on the thick edge, you end up with a curved shape perhaps.
Curved lids lash down more easily, travelling chests have curved lids, chests used in static locations have flat lid.
The advantages of a curved lid mean any lashing, used to keep the chest still for example on a boat or carriage does not have a sharp edge to fray against. In addition, a coopered lid is more or less watertight, where as flat wood nearly always warps and twists guaranteeing to let in water to some degree.

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
From an aesthetic point of view I prefer the slightly rounded design - not a radius, but a flatish top with eased corners.
Stacking wont be important to me (as I'll only have 2 and plenty of other things can be put on top).
I think this will be more inviting to sit on too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE