I fancy making a box/bench - maybe this Norse design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
Hi all
I've been thinking about appropriate things to put in my Tipi and have already identified the watchman's chair as being a likely project.
However I am also trying to think of a hybrid box/bench seat which isn't too heavy to lift out of the car into the tent.

On googling for 'Norse box' , I came across a tool chest from the Mastermyr find, which took my fancy.

Original find here:
http://www.greydragon.org/trips/stockholm/mastermyr099.jpg

Some reproductions:
http://www.warehamforge.ca/box00a.jpg
http://www.isarviking.de/Ausruestung/Kiste/chest3.jpg

There's also handily enough some plans:
http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

I was thinking about putting some handles on each side and making it wide enough for 2 people to sit on, but what are your thoughts?

One question mark is the timber to use - I want it fairly light, but somehow pine doesn't sit right with me - any other ideas?

Also, if I get some hinges forged, how much should I expect to pay? I've never bought anything like that before.

Cheers
Alex

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
You should contact Wayland, I've seen the box he has brought to meets before...
I'm sure hes got pics

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've been thinking about similar boxes for use in my Tentipi, rather than going for a replica of an old design, I was thinking of making two wooden boxes for storage and seating that will be as light as possible but still strong. The dimensions will be determined so that I can get them both in the boot of a family estate car, with room to spare for other gear. One will be for foodstuffs and the other will be for the camp kitchen.
I haven't decided on materials yet, but was thinking of using 9mm ply - not very bushcraft I know :eek: . Having now seen your ideas I think it is back to the drawing board :rolleyes: , as those replicas look so much nicer than what I was planning !!
Cheers,
Doug.

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
I keep tooing and froing between just getting something done and making something nice.
I would have just managed with plastic storage boxes by now if they had strong enough lids for sitting on (I haven't found any yet).

I'm guessing that Wayland will be around soon :)

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Likewise ! we have been using Curver plastic boxes, but as you have said none of them have lids strong enough to sit on :lmao:
Doug.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I like the box design, Pine is possibly the lightest wood you could use, you could always stain it to suit. Other than Pine you could look at Ash or even Oak, they could prove to be heavy woods but would give you great grain. These woods would be more acessable from timber merchants than more exoyic woods. Yew would be a fantastic wood to use but would need to be sourced and could prove expensive. you could also look at Beech or even Birch.

Simon.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have made one of the tool chest some long while ago, actually using the plans you found. I'll fish it out of the garage and take some pics. I had used mahogany:eek: , not very accurate reproduction, I'm affraid. I have used it to store tools!

These are great boxes, I'veseen literally hundreds over the years at re-enactments and they really do work well both as seats and storage. Why not make one without too much fuss from pine, use it as a learning curve, then make your next one out of something a bit nicer.

In my opinion, you can never have too many boxes, especially pretty ones that look better the more aged and battered they get :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I use rope for the handles on mine, seems to work well enough.

The "legs" at each end are good because it raises the box base off any damp surface like a longship deck, earthen floor or general mud.

There is a blacksmith (Dave Barnes) at Murton Park who makes most of the bits for Danelaw Viking Village. He does good hinge sets that are reasonably priced from memory.

I can't find his number but Murton Park should have it ( They are on 01904 489966 )

( I should state at this point that although I do have a connection to Murton Park, I do not have any connection except as a satisfied customer to Dave Barnes. )

My big box is made of oak and is a monster to shift when it's full.

Most of my boxes have a lift off lid which is quite good because you can put stuff on top and still get into the box if you need to and are careful.

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
Thanks everyone for your input. I definitely don't want it to be heavy. I'm already panicking about the weight of the Fourdog woodburning stove. I have 36 steps from my house to my car, and I only weight 8.5 stone :)
I suppose a lift-off lid will eradicate the need for forged hinges, although I'll need to rebate the lid instead.

I'll have a wander down to the reclamation yards here in Macc and see what timbers they have.

Cheers
Alex

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
:)
Sara's always been stronger than me anyway - I'm perfectly comfortable with my light frame (although buying lightweight mountainbikes/camping gear/etc is always really expensive)

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
For anyone looking at plastic storage boxes, I've just found these.
Rugged, stackable, standonable, sitonable, etc

wolf_box_large.jpg

http://www.trekoverland.com/accessories.htm

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Wayland,

Could we see pics of your Viking Boxes? I am thinking this will be a great project for me too. I like the look of those above and they seem to be right practical as a tool box goes.

Could you use yours as a work bench as well? I think that would be very handy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE