I did it, my first attempt at leathercraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Yep i did it, i made a sheath for the axe i was given, im well chuffed with the way it turned out for a first attempt, cheated and used rivets though, might have a go at stiching the strap in place rather than use a rivet, would look much nicer i think, still the sheath is functional and that's all i need it to be, at least i wont cut myself wide open on the edge now.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Good job, it certainly looks robust enough. I think you should stitch the strap as you say. I have an Estwing (Puke smiley!) and the sheath has a press stud closure. This has left a mark on the side of face of the axe, which was there when I got it. The rivet may leave a mark on your axe head, and you wouldn't want that! Also, as you say, it would look nicer.

I don't think using rivets on the rest is cheating though, it's been well executed.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks for the encouragement chaps, now , what to make next? ;)

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
If you do stitch it you should use a middle layer of leather so the blade is contacting that instread of the thread.

I made an "ax purse" including shoulder strap and I used rivets too. Could have stitched it but I was in too much of a hurry. I did use a middle layer though but just a thin one as that's all I had.

Attachments

• Sheath_3.jpg
    Sheath_3.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Sheath_2.jpg
    Sheath_2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 36

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Removed the rivet holding on the strap today and stiched it in instead, looks much nicer, plus it wont mark the head like a rivey would, the other side has a small catch that is held on with a rivet, but i covered the head inside the sheath to stop that marking the blade, oh i also gave the leather a good polish as well, finished article pictured below.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE