I D my log please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi everyone,
can anyone id this log, that i found in a local park today.That is, tell me what wood it is.It was on a footpath.I could not see any signs of any recent tree cutting.Thanks for taking the time to look.

GEDC0357.jpg

GEDC0358.jpg

GEDC0356.jpg

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
If the needles attached to it are from the tree it's a pine or a fir. The smell will tell you which. You'll recognise the smell if it's pine, firs are less aromatic and more earthy.

H i everyone,
sorry to bring this one up again, but i was not convinced that my log was leylandii.Non of that pine smell.So i had a walk round the park to see if i could find which tree it came from.I think that i found it .When i first looked it did not have any leaf.In the last few weeks the tree has burst into leaf.see pics bellow.Still dont know what it is.About 20-25feet tall long straight central trunk branches start near ground level.Anyway have a look and see if anyone can id it from the leaves.

GEDC0409.jpg

GEDC0410.jpg

GEDC0412.jpg

GEDC0413.jpg

Regards Chris.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I too was thinking Metasequoia (lovely story about how that species was 're-discovered') looking at the heartwood & bark. The needles clinched it. You jammy bugger! Which park have they been cutting down Redwoods in? I'm not very far from Kendal *waves* allo :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE