I confess to batoning with a folding knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I confess, I ought not to have done it m'lud but it was a means to an end.

I batoned with my Swiss Army Rucksack knife and it survived the experience, I only did so because it was all I had to hand. (that is a confession in itself, I do not carry a small armoury of knives around with me like an honest bushcrafter should)

Well you see I needed to split a piece of wood and it would have taken an eternity to saw through it.

Am I forgiven or do I go to penknife purgatory?

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I've done it, proving it doesn't break when doing do, it will be fine. May not be the best way, but if it gets you out of a crunch, then no issues :)

If you don't have a proper knife for it though, may be worth investing in one.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a skill, and if the knife survived sound, and you didn't end up knackering your hands either, then I think that's a win :)

M

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Did it once myself with an Eka Sweede 8 and it folded on me. No injury but made me think about what I was doing.
I stopped and carved a small wedge to do the job.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
As long as it's your knife. :)

Though think the more proper technique would've been to carve a wedge, and baton that through.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Needs must...
and Bishop nailed it spot on.

At least now you know how good you SAK is when pushed to the limit... :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Needs must...
and Bishop nailed it spot on.

At least now you know how good you SAK is when pushed to the limit... :)

And reasonably easy to replace. I used to use my Super Swede for everything, ended up mashing the blade to the spring bar so often it got terrible blade play. But it worked hard for me for years.

If you need to baton a folder, try and do it with the blade not fully set against the spring. And be careful.

And as Bishop has eloquently alluded to, the best survival knife is the knife you have with you when you need it. ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thing is though, if you do do it wrongly, and the knife breaks, then you've potentially destroyed (or at least created a much less effectively useful tool) one of your most useful bits of kit, especially if it's a 'survival' situation.
Jared's right to point out that the wedge making is more usual, and for a lot of sound reasons.

It surprised me at a meet up that no one else had ever made and used wedges to split timber. It's incredibly effective, and easily carved with a pocket knife or even chipped out with a sharp stone.

M

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
Can I point out, there is a tool for splitting wood, called a froe (not the dodgy hairstyle, though personally I think using those to split wood would be an appropriate sanction).
So if you're considering using your fine edged bushcraft knife as splitting tool, just say froe.:lmao:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Froe is probably a bit overkill for what a 110mm Rucksack SAK could manage. :)

My earlier comment about a wedge probably ott in this case too thinking about it.

The Rucksack having a saw means sawing through half the diameter a ways down, and knock it about a bit would induce a split in it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE