I confess to batoning with a folding knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
As long as the beaver is fitted with port and starboard running lights, you should be OK.

Question: what is the reason for needing a sharp edge for splitting wood?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
There's so many restrictions on where you can and can't walk a Beaver though......Even if you paint your walking staff white, wear sun glasses and dress the Beaver in a yellow coat sooner or later someone is going to realise that you actually knew all along that it's not a Labrador.

D.B.

******Snigger*****:lmao:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
As long as the beaver is fitted with port and starboard running lights, you should be OK.

Question: what is the reason for needing a sharp edge for splitting wood?

Starting it in the wood.

If you are splitting small bits and your edge is blunt, then it can skid off rather than biting in. That's when accidents happen. A sharp edge with a convex behind it works well, that's what is on most billhooks.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ah. OK. Thanks mrcharly. Carving in western red cedar, I commonly split what I need from much larger log pieces = log mallet and a custom-forged froe.
Now that you've explained this, I realize that my first strike on the froe must be an almighty one to set the dull edge into the wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE