I can't decide, Portrait or Landscape?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I took a trip to Anglesey this week and stopped by Parys Mountain for a look.

This is the best view I found but unusually I cannot decide between the vertical or horizontal shot so I thought I would ask for your help.

Parys-Mountain.jpg

Parys_Mountain.jpg

So what do you think, portrait, landscape or why even bother?
biggrin.png

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hard to say, I like them both... I can see why you struggled to find one you prefer Gary...

But if push comes to shove then I agree with Dwardo... the landscape has a wider range of colours and appeal

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm for landscape as well, I think the flow and confluence of lines in the picture are more ballanced that way. I also feel frustration looking at the verticle like looking through a keyhole - like I am missing part of the picture. (Both are pleasing by the way it's just I find the landscape more soothing).
No expert but that's what I think.
All the best,
GB.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
How about both...

both_zps56155259.jpg

Anyway enough of that.

I'd go for the landscape the flow of lines is better [just personal preference]

//"Without a point of reference, the are both the same, as just turning the landslide to portrait, to the unknown eye, would still look ok."//

I'd have to disagree with that one, take the landscape image and rotate it 90 deg and I feel it looks 'wrong' the same with taking the portrait and physically rotating it.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've just voted, and it displayed the results so far, 10 votes 5 each way - no one sitting on the fence. That has intrested me...

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
To my eye, portait more of a sense of height and verticality. It is less obvious than, and so more interesting than, landscape.

It's an interesting dilemma though, isn't it? My wife asks my advice freqently on this when she embarks on a new painting: and then follows her own way! I suggest you do like wise- it will look pretty good either way.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
The orientation is called landscape for a reason :p

I like filling the peripheral vision; he could crop very close on that rubble slide and it would be a perfect portrait shot, but the whole thing works best as landscape for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE