I am making some good practice matrial, and i need some help with the shelter part!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emil0509

May 22, 2013
Denmark
As the title says, i am making some material to take with me in the woods, Ive already got the other basics. BUT i need some help with the shelters. I would like to make some illustraded shelters for all kinds of weather. They can only be made by cordage/tarps/hammocks or natures resources. Lets all agree to find the number one shelter for the diffrent situations. Or just one killer badass shelter that does it all.
shelters for 1-2 people + gear

Lets say one for:

Storm - Heavy rain / cold winds

Cold nights - Snow/ice

A little rain maybe, comfi temps

Open fire shelter

Some instructions would be nice, as i mentioned the best would be a illustration and a small material text.

If you want to add anything be welcome, but lets please stick to the topic. I was thinking around 1-6 diffrent shelters max. If you disagree with another suggestion you can write pros and cons, but dont let it fill the thread.

Hoping that the motivation is there for you guys! Many thanks

Emil

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
You could start with a tarp. They're really versatile in so much as you need one with a hammock or you can pitch it in different ways for ground dwelling. Either way your going to need one. If you want one shelter for all occasions, make a tent.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
just remember making a shelter from surrounding woodland takes time and effort regards dave

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
This sort of shelter seems to be pretty good in all weather with plenty of space if you end up inside for some time.

As dave53 mentioned though, you will spend a great deal of time sourcing materials and in making a solid long lasting construction.

safe_image.php

Or just take a tarp... the windier and colder it gets, the lower to the ground and to you your shelter should be.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Natural shelters are great but take a huge amount of time and resource's to make. ALL natural even more so and the hardest thing I find is roofing.
Taking a good size tarp with you makes life a lot easier. I have made lots of bender style shelters which work great but no good for an open fire.
Group shelters in a pentagon configuration have served us through a few cold winters, wish i could find some pics of ours...
These types of shelters if built to last take a few days with lots of hands. Just to gather enough leaves and debris for a good thickness of wall takes a lot of time.

Good fun though and a joy to stay in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE