Hypothetical question - Living off the land

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Great Pebble said:
Pull together. Group effort towards a common aim.
It's "pool together" that would scare me most! That's when the government wouldn't give me any choice as to whether or not I helped the "have nots".

And who's to say who would benefit from it? Picture the opportunity for corruption on a huge scale as per Stalinist Russia.

George

J

JeremyH

People, here on Islay survived - subsisted about 200-150 years ago - 26000 of them!!Yes!!
There are now only 3000 - not subsisting but some of us live pretty much close to nature, eating from hedgerows, allotments, hill, sea and lochs - although without the local shop it would be difficult for most.

With the Islay Journeyman you can experience it yourself! :pack:

JeremyH

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
This is a very interesting thread and I have been following it all day. Down here in the south being so closely tied to mainland UK we would soon follow you but I don't think our government would be as strong or useful.

Our only saving grace would be our low population, highly fertile lands and rich coastline add to that at it is not all that long ago we were still very dependant on the traditional rural skills(My dads genaratation here). Especially were I life now fishing and farming are still the biggest industries in the area our only problem is that much of the hard labour is now done by young school leaver that only stay a season or emigrant works from our new east european partners. But my generation can still remember and still have the skills at least enough to soon pick what they have lost back up again. My great uncle still works his fields using the horse and with a little practise I imagine I could still do it. (well thats the weekends challenge)

Your only problem with no government I fear we would soon lose our independents at least the rich farm land areas anyway. What do our other European members think?

My thoughts,
James

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
This is an excellent thread. So much insight into who people are and where they would fit into a greater scheme in a more primitive environment.

Kim, if I may, I'd like to share a little of how my people view your genders place in the whole of things. Firstly, the women have the most honored of all duties. They are the heart of the people and they shape the future of the people. They make the miracle of life inside of them and for that reason, they were gifted with traits of compassion, love, respect, honor, fairness, tenderness, etc., which are used to raise the children in a wholesome and beneficial way. Many times, men do not carry these on their sleeves as a woman does and many times it is the duty of a woman to bring those traits to bear when men are chattering about war or taking the people in a direction that isn't good for the people. They and they alone are responsible for the initial development of a childs heart and are the ones that teach the children how to live with nature and among the people. They were also responsible for the development of the childs spiritual values. Of course, by gender the children would grow towards womanhood and manhood and would learn those skills necessary to their gender. Something that is sadly lacking in today's modern societies.

Also, I tend to agree that technology is the bane of our existence. It is the evil that creates and destroys, all at the same time.

We as a race have lost our way and in my eyes and there are two things that will put things right, one way or another. The first is that we as a species have a change of heart and return to the ways of Nature. Abandoning destructive technologies and allowing things to return to how they were always meant to be. A lowering of populations, cleaning up of the environment, etc. The other is out of our hands and something we prefer not to acknowledge and something that scares the heck out of us when it is brought up. That of course being GODs intervention or whatever you care to consider as massive natural disasters or species ending war that will destroy all of mans great works and if man survived, would be cast back into the stone age. The Earth would eventually heal herself, but whether man is part of that future, lies within our hearts, not our science.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Wise words as always RA.

I cant remember who said it, but this is a sayng which I feel rings true,

"I dont know what weapons will be used to fight World War 3 but World War 4 will be clubs and rocks!"

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Gary said:
"I dont know what weapons will be used to fight World War 3 but World War 4 will be clubs and rocks!"
That is Albert Einstein. :biggthump I had it as signature once. :wink:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Gary said:
Well little viking Mr Einstein know what he was talking about i think!
Yep, it's one of my favourite quotes, although the signtaure i have now is my no.1 favourite. :biggthump

hootchi

Settler
TheViking said:
Yep, it's one of my favourite quotes, although the signtaure i have now is my no.1 favourite. :biggthump
This is the version I thought that it was:
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV
will be fought with sticks and stones."

arctic hobo said:
This thread is refreshingly intelligent and aware - it's so nice to talk to people who know what they're on about - eg technology IS the bane of society - in fact, what am I doing on my PC now?? Help!
I suppose we are all hippocritical (sp) to an extent. When we are on our computors we should be outside learning and teaching, but we are know?

??? Its tricky???

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
RovingArcher said:
Firstly, the women have the most honored of all duties. They are the heart of the people and they shape the future of the people. They make the miracle of life inside of them and for that reason, they were gifted with traits of compassion, love, respect, honor, fairness, tenderness, etc., which are used to raise the children in a wholesome and beneficial way.
:You_Rock_ :super: :uu:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Kim said:
RovingArcher said:
Firstly, the women have the most honored of all duties. They are the heart of the people and they shape the future of the people. They make the miracle of life inside of them and for that reason, they were gifted with traits of compassion, love, respect, honor, fairness, tenderness, etc., which are used to raise the children in a wholesome and beneficial way.
:You_Rock_ :super: :uu:

Ere roving archer you edited the bit a bout washing up and ironing out!!!!! :rolmao: :shock: sorry in advance i feel a beating coming :rolmao: :shock:

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Paganwolf said:
Ere roving archer you edited the bit a bout washing up and ironing out!!!!! :rolmao: :shock: sorry in advance i feel a beating coming :rolmao: :shock:

I'm afraid I cannot post my response to the above...because it would be moderated.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
lol mate it could be worse

if mrs PW reads this thread you may find your dinner burned to a crisp and your "priviledges" revoked indefinitely

:yikes:

Tant

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Wasn't TEOCAWKI supposed to happen in the 80's with our increasingly unstable society or was it nuclear war? Or was it back in the 60's with overpopulation. Or weren't we supposed to run out of resources ('The Limits To Growth'). Oh and at one time we were going to suffer a massive worldwide Ice Age due to pollution in the atmosphere and now we're going to suffer global warning due to pollution in the atmosphere.
Not saying global catastrophe won't happen ever (prediction, especially about the future, is notoriously difficult) or that we shouldn't look after our world with a lot more care but IMHO people will probably be having doom laden conversations about the state of the planet and humanity's future in 50 years time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE