Hydraulic Rams

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Never seen one before and am absolutely facinated.

Does someone understand the physics so much as to tell me what would happen if you'd block the fist checkvalve top, so that it wouldn't leak half the water from there? Does it stop the water from activating the valve?

Yes.......One of the best things about this is the stream you use to get the water and power the system remains largely unaffected.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK

Does someone understand the physics so much as to tell me what would happen if you'd block the fist checkvalve top, so that it wouldn't leak half the water from there? Does it stop the water from activating the valve?

Its actually not that complicated. the key to it all is the spring operated flap valve - how strong the spring is and its range of travel.
Water flows down a feed pipe, building up kinetic energy.
When it is travelling fast enough, it carries the flap valve with it and slams shut
This sudden stop builds a pressure pulse within the water - which momentarily flows through a second NRV (non-return-valve) - into a second chamber and away up a delivery pipe to wherever you want to use it
With the water now at a stand-still, the spring can overcome the pressure of the water in the feed pipe and open, allowing water to begin flowing again.
The cycle is continuous and I seem to recall that 60 to 100 beats per minute are the most efficient.

Still trying to find my video, but Photobucket is having a hissy fit!

Ogri the trog

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK

Edited to answer your query correctly
The flow of water out of the valve, serves to build the flow (with associated kinetic energy) and, when the valve slams shut, creates the spike in pressure that you use to pump the water to a higher head - sealing the flap valve serves only to turn the machine into a large siphon which is hindered by the internal valves.

Ogri the trog

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Surprised that these seem so new to people, first mention for me was in one of the Punchbowl Farm children's novels by Monica Edwards. We knew them as force pumps.

Had a sad person who used to come into where I worked who had "invented" such a pump that was going to make his fortune, he couldn't be convinced that his discovery had been known and used for many years.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
There are lots in East Cornwall, but as far as I can find, few round here.

Truro council has one for the water gardens

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hmmm seems that Photobucket have deleted my video and said that I did it!

Wasn't all that exciting but it should the thing slopping water and pumping a jet about 10 feet above my head!

Guess I'll have to get it running again - and wait till the stream has enough water to use!

Ogri the trog

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The main one I remember was Blakes Hydro Ram. Pretty sure they were invented in Napoleonic France?
IIRC the first ones used the flow of water to push a cannonball in a pipe, the last inch of movement of the cannonball pushed water up the pipe at very high pressure through a non return valve up a hill.
Used to be on isolated farms just clunking away for years with very little maintenance and when I was a nipper Blue Peter did a water for Africa/India/wherever it was project where they supplied them.

Something like a 1 litre pushed up the pipe from every ten that goes through the outflow.

Masses on Youtube and several build it yourself projects on the internet that last time I looked

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Check out the estimable Wranglerstar on youtube, he's got a few videos up about the refurbishment of a ram on his property; his vids. are mostly very clear.......superb, in fact.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Boing...
Just saw something about a Bunyip pump on Youtube and unline the rest this ones self priming. That makes quite a difference to the maintenance required to keep them going, dunno about cost though as I've looked on the website and cant find the price.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE