Hydraulic Rams

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Such a delightful name...and such a delightful device.

Anyhow, yesterday my friends were showing me over their new land, with a stream at the bottom, and Im thinking `Hydraulic Ram.` (They were talking about water problems earlier, 3 ponies drink a lot.)

And she says `I want one of those pump things.`

Sooooo....my latest request for finding things is a H. Ram.

Obviously there are companies that make them but where would I find a second hand one? Has anyone got one? Can they be built easily??

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No, the stream is in the woods across the track. The ponies are in the paddock.

Hydralic rams pump water, dont they?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think you mean Hydro ram, rather than Hydraulic......There's one near me and I'll have a look tomorrow for the maker's name. It's been there for 100 yrs., and will pump water up 300 feet at a rate of 2000 litres a day;
all it takes is an annual change of a couple of washers and has 2 moving parts which need greasing at the same time as the washer change. The performance of these depends on the flow of water through them, or you can build a header tank to feed them. There's a fair bit of information available on line about the principles involved.

Here you go for starters........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_ram

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
No, the stream is in the woods across the track. The ponies are in the paddock.

Hydralic rams pump water, dont they?

Theres many different types of hydraulic ram. Mostly of the type found on diggers and suchlike, meaning it uses hydraulic pressure to move the ram and perform various push/pull type actions
when you say "hydraulic ram" most folks (like stevie above) will think you mean the type i just described

What you want is in macaroon's link

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Theres many different types of hydraulic ram. Mostly of the type found on diggers and suchlike, meaning it uses hydraulic pressure to move the ram and perform various push/pull type actions
when you say "hydraulic ram" most folks (like stevie above) will think you mean the type i just described

What you want is in macaroon's link
Yes, this exactly what i was thinking.

Another option to consider..Archimedes screw. I know these also need a external power source, That's where the ponies come in..;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know what Tengu's talking of, and I know of it as a Hydraulic Ram too. Basically the force of water flowing can be used to force a smaller bore up hill….it's maths/physics…no ?

M

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I know what Tengu's talking of, and I know of it as a Hydraulic Ram too. Basically the force of water flowing can be used to force a smaller bore up hill….it's maths/physics…no ?

M

Yup, you and tengu are both quite right. Tis just a confusing name

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Such a delightful name...and such a delightful device.

Anyhow, yesterday my friends were showing me over their new land, with a stream at the bottom, and Im thinking `Hydraulic Ram.` (They were talking about water problems earlier, 3 ponies drink a lot.)

And she says `I want one of those pump things.`

Sooooo....my latest request for finding things is a H. Ram.

Obviously there are companies that make them but where would I find a second hand one? Has anyone got one? Can they be built easily??

Yes they can be built quite easily - though some technical know-how is beneficial, I made one a few years ago (I have a video of it running somewhere) from parts that an old work-place was throwing out and some self made bits. When working properly I reckon I could pull a ton of water every 24 hours out of a stream that was no more than a foot wide and only a few inches deep - though it had about a 6 foot head of pressure. There are a few places to gather information apart form t'interweb - CAT, Center for Alternative Energy was key for me, they had a booklet for about £6 that showed every step with a trouble-shooting guide as well which proved to be instrumental in getting mine working.Dick Strawbridge's forum also had some good ideas.
However, mine rarely runs now, due to the stream being very silty and me not paying it much attention over the ensuing years.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Reactions: TeeDee

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Good reading so far. Have often seen them marked on OS maps but never seen them working as such. Look forward to seeing a working model!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good reading so far. Have often seen them marked on OS maps but never seen them working as such. Look forward to seeing a working model!

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG0laNqJWY0[/video]

They are small things often.

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Never seen one before and am absolutely facinated.

Does someone understand the physics so much as to tell me what would happen if you'd block the fist checkvalve top, so that it wouldn't leak half the water from there? Does it stop the water from activating the valve?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE