hydration, bladder and filter - advice sought

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

sccadmin

Hi All,

Recent course has made me realise how much I'm ignoring the need for a decent hydration bladder and filter.

I think I have the in-line filter sorted with a:

Aquaguard Eliminator Inline Hydration Filter

and possibly a LifeStraw in the survival tin.

For a bladder I'm thinking Platypus Insulator Hydration Pack with the Big Zip Sl bladder.

That way I can attach the in-line filter if and when I need it and use the bladder for general use. When I attach the filter I can use it in line and simply suck for clean water on the go or use it as a gravity system in camp.

Anyone have any useful advice when it comes to in-line filters and / or hydration bladders / emergency water purification?

Thanks

Rich

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've used a platy hoser with the webtex inline for a while. The small hole on the platy is a pain to fill, so the big opening will be better.

One thing to note; you probably won't want to put drinks in your bladder once its had unclean water in it so you will be better with a seperate container for made up drinks. I just use it to provide clean water, juices go in a nalgene or pop bottle.
Always carry some electrical/gaffer tape to repair the system if it breaks for any reason. I cracked my filter at the top of a welsh mountain a couple of weeks ago and without the tape, I would have been left without any treated water.

S

sccadmin

Hi Teepee,

I guess the answer is take the kit that's suited to the trip.

Ideally I'd like the platy for use with reliable water sources, the in-line for when I need hydration in a hurry and a millbank and boiling for when I have a fixed camp or the opportunity to boil up. Sounds like an excuse to buy one of everything! Weight is the issue.

Good advice though, never have got round to including the gaffer tape in my kit but really should, 101 uses.

I looked at the webtex, very similar to the Aquaguard, did you consider others and settle on the webtex for any reason?

Thanks

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Simple, It was in my local shop :) I wouldn't get another though-all mine have leaked. I used PTFE tape to stop the leaks but this has caused the plastic threads to split.

Its an aquaguard eliminator for me next I think. The internals are the same as the webtex, but the filter housing is different on the Aquaguard and reviews say they don't leak.

S

sccadmin

Great, thanks for your help, I'll probably go for the eliminator then. Is there a reliable way to sterilise the platy back at home once its been used with dirty water?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great, thanks for your help, I'll probably go for the eliminator then. Is there a reliable way to sterilise the platy back at home once its been used with dirty water?

Milton sterilising tablets; Should be available most supermarkets, boots etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE