hya

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
OK, I've had a quiet word with myself, and apparently I've overstepped the line.

I apologise to those with bunkers under construction and I hope my comments didnt spoil your enjoyment of your MRE's too much. I realise I've probably lost any chance of getting a spot in your bunker when the bomb drops ...and I probably deserve to be left hanging on your barbed wire. :)

However, survivalism is not the same as bushcraft. It doesnt matter what semantics you use, you cannot make it into the same thing, it's a different subject. I actually do find a lot of survivalist stuff quite interesting. It appeals to a dark and scarry side of my personality, that I generally dont feed after midnight. But, to the best of my knowledge, a fairly sizeable percentage of the members and most importantly, the owner of this forum, does not want BcUK to become a survivalists forum.

By all means, talk about the skills that are common to both, but leave the spooky stuff alone and we are all happy. :)

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
Martyn said:
The police? :D

Give em a call ....tell em a moderator has been seen holding an opinion in public. :lmao:

Very good Martin - I am quite pleased that you have finally come out and stated your true feelings towards fellow Woodland users - Buscrafter/Survivalists
You have just shown me that you actually do categorise and pigeonhole people and you are not really a happy clapper, all are welcome bushcrafter. unless people conform to your view.

To call survivalists "nutters" and poke fun at someone with a different opinion than your own from your position as a moderator is frankly an abuse of the position.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Fire Starter said:
Very good Martin - I am quite pleased that you have finally come out and stated your true feelings towards fellow Woodland users - Buscrafter/Survivalists
You have just shown me that you actually do categorise and pigeonhole people and you are not really a happy clapper, all are welcome bushcrafter. unless people conform to your view.
Guilty, m'lud! ...oh, there is a "y" in my name ...just for the charge sheet. :)

To call survivalists "nutters" and poke fun at someone with a different opinion than your own from your position as a moderator is frankly an abuse of the position.

Yes, you are probably quite right.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Come on guys, play nice :D

We all know and appreciate that there’s a very large overlap (this is general accepted, although not by all) between what people perceive as bushcraft and what they perceive as survivalism. Generally there’s not any conflict between them as they so comfortably sit side by side. Usually the issues become more prominent when people get a bit uptight about the definitions, which is fair enough, to a point.

I admit to getting a bit miffed when there’s issues about survivalism when this is a bushcraft site, it’s aimed (the site that is) at helping people get more from the great outdoors with little regard for the actual activity, we have photographers, wardens, soldiers, lawyers, doctors, teachers, students, authors, IT professionals, mountaineers….the list goes on, and on and on. All these different people just want to get out and enjoy themselves, learn, grow and share their knowledge with those around them. It’s irrelevant if the person sharing his/her knowledge is a military survival instructor or a bank clerk who has a huge enthusiasm for foraging food.

What does spoil it is a daft tit for tat conversation that doesn’t really get us anywhere, no one’s learning from it. There’s strong opinion on both sides and there always will be, the bottom line though is that the site is set up as a site that has a broader scope than the traditional definition of survival. This is a bushcraft, woodcraft, wilderness outdoor site that tries accommodates anyone interested in these activities. It will never be a survivalist website. There’s plenty of them anyway, many of which we get on very well with.

Apologies CrazyDave that your intro thread got hijacked :eek:

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Hi Crazy Dave (nice to know I'm not the only one), when I saw that you had 20 odd posts to my 13 I have to admit I felt a bit miffed . . . until I started reading them. Aaanyway, welcome to BCUK where you'll find that we're a friendly bunch - at least that's what they told me when I joined on Saturday. :theyareon

Oddly enough I was only thinking about the difference 'tween survivalists and bushcrafters this very morning at breakfast - just after having my prozac - and not knowing much about either I wondered if the difference in personality between the Long Range Desert Patrol (nutters in the train spotting vein) and the SAS (nutters in the Xtreme sports vein) would be a shorthand way of representing the difference between bushcrafters and survivalists. Anyway, after reading these posts I think I might be onto something. :joke: Well it made a change from my usual breakfast time end of the world fantasies.

Which reminds me. Martyn, I'm most perturbed that you would equate me with riff-raff like sociopaths. I'm an honest to goodness, bona fide paranoid delusional, schizotypal, borderline psychotic, bushcrafter thank you very much. Either that or I am the messiah (he's not the messiah, he's just a very naughty boy). The prozac's only because I've been feeling a little low lately :( . Really, I think you should have your whistle ceremonially de-pead or something! :nono:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
lightfoot said:
Hi Crazy Dave (nice to know I'm not the only one), when I saw that you had 20 odd posts to my 13 I have to admit I felt a bit niffed . . . until I started reading them. Aaanyway, welcome to BCUK where you'll find that we're a friendly bunch - at least that's what they told me when I joined on Saturday. :theyareon

Oddly enough I was only thinking about the difference 'tween survivalists and bushcrafters this very morning at breakfast - just after having my prozac - and not knowing much about either I wondered if the difference in personality between the Long Range Desert Patrol (nutters in the train spotting vein) and the SAS (nutters in the let's go kill somebody vein) would be a shorthand way of representing the difference between bushcrafters and survivalists. Anyway, after reading these posts I think I might be onto something. :joke: Well it made a change from my usual breakfast time end of the world fantasies.

Which reminds me. Martyn, I'm most perturbed that you would equate me with riff-raff like sociopaths. I'm an honest to goodness, bona fide paranoid delusional, schizotypal, borderline psychotic, bushcrafter thank you very much. Either that or I am the messiah (he's not the messiah, he's just a very naughty boy). The prozac's only because I've been feeling a little low lately :( . Really, I think you should have your whistle ceremonially de-pead or something! :nono:

:lmao:

Thank god someone has a sense of humour.

OK, you can have my pea. ;) :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE