husky pups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
my dog has just had 6 pups iv already decided to keep 1. now my total number of dogs to take out into the mountains is up to 4 its good going up hill not that good when 4 huskies want to pull you down. does any one else take this many dogs out camping with them.

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
got just the one Sybe and he is enough however have used two malamutes to aclimatize on Mt Blanc, like you say dam scary coming down woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww :eek:

Long Stride

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2006
Dundee
Did it once, never again :eek:

Guy lines pulled up, pans knocked over.....

Thinking about it I probably would do it again now they are older :rolleyes:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Long Stride said:
Did it once, never again :eek:

Guy lines pulled up, pans knocked over.....

Thinking about it I probably would do it again now they are older :rolleyes:

These big "screw into the ground" tethers work well for holding dogs.

We have a couple of collapsible fabric dog crates for use at night.Works a treat.

This was taken on a standard campsite but they work in the woods too. :)
CIMG0430.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would love to take my dog wild camping but she is a bit too young and Boisterous yet (12 months ish) :eek: .

She came normal shiney camping with us to the lake district but that was great as the campsite allowed dogs and the whole place including the lake front was fenced in :). She spend the whole first day running around like a nutter and loved sleeping near the open fire with us :rolleyes:. Unfortunately she also jumped on a few runners and cyclists covering them in mud :lmao: bad dog lol

I woke and let her out on the second morning and she immediately bolted and spent the day chasing sheep and the chicken from the next tent over (actually caught the chicken but had no idea what to do with it when she did)

She then spent the whole trip back alseep and also slept for 2 days straight afterwards :approve:

She is getting better but she was a rescue pup so still abit too lively as i think she missed any kind of training as a young pup and god know what other ***** she had to live with.

Sorry for hijacking your thread by the way :eek:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
dwardo said:
I woke and let her out on the second morning and she immediately bolted and spent the day chasing sheep and the chicken from the next tent over (actually caught the chicken but had no idea what to do with it when she did)
Spent the day........?

Erm. Not trying to sound brutal or anything but you do know that the accepted training for this kind of thing involves a shotgun and a tearful dog-owner?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
anthonyyy said:
What are huskies like as pets?

From what I can gather, having met a few (never owned one), they're a lot of work. Like collies, they're working dogs and they need a lot of exercise or they go mental.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I was looking at getting a husky before i got my dog. I spoke to a guy who walks one near where i live who completely put me off. The fact that they can rarely if ever be let off the leed as they like to eat anything small and furry :eek: .
They also need 7ft high fencing in the garden as they have a hell of a jump in them.

Apparently they are also how did he put it not very "emotional, interactive or social with humans". Like as stated above a working dog, oh and the loads of miles a day needed to tire them out :eek:

This is just what i was told by an owner :) but the are lovely lol

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
I have 6 german shepherds and a pug, I have been camping with 5 of the shepherds and the pug, but it was on a farm I use, don't think I'd risk a campsite as one tends to woof when someone comes near the lavvu :rolleyes: Dolly the pug has also been with me to a bcuk meet-up :D

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
dwardo said:
I would love to take my dog wild camping but she is a bit too young and Boisterous yet (12 months ish) :eek: .

She came normal shiney camping with us to the lake district but that was great as the campsite allowed dogs and the whole place including the lake front was fenced in :). She spend the whole first day running around like a nutter and loved sleeping near the open fire with us :rolleyes:. Unfortunately she also jumped on a few runners and cyclists covering them in mud :lmao: bad dog lol

She then spent the whole trip back alseep and also slept for 2 days straight afterwards :approve:

She is getting better but she was a rescue pup so still abit too lively as i think she missed any kind of training as a young pup and god know what other ***** she had to live with.

Sorry for hijacking your thread by the way :eek:

Not good Dwardo. :(

Your dog needs to be under strict control ALL the time by the sound of it.

It would be a good idea to find a local training course where you and the dog can be taught how to behave. :p

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
dwardo said:
I was looking at getting a husky before i got my dog. I spoke to a guy who walks one near where i live who completely put me off. The fact that they can rarely if ever be let off the leed as they like to eat anything small and furry :eek: .
They also need 7ft high fencing in the garden as they have a hell of a jump in them.

Apparently they are also how did he put it not very "emotional, interactive or social with humans". Like as stated above a working dog, oh and the loads of miles a day needed to tire them out :eek:

I think he was trying to put you off. they love people but you do need a high fence. they can be let off the lead well 1 of my dogs can't he does love sheep but the others are ok.they do like to pull my girlfriend has started racing them they love it.the pups are 2weeks old now all but 2 have homes.the link is to my girlfriends photo bucket there are some pics there

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/karamia_2006/

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
dwardo said:

Huskies are great they are working dog so do need a job, i have trained SARDA search and rescue dogs in the past and have worked with Collies, but huskies are very different they are self sufficient and if they wish they could survive without human input, but are not good on roads. They will run off and hunt so training can be difficult. Rewards to get them to come back may net work considereing they can catch their own food.
They are very clever and give you that look " i will come back when im ready" :cool:
But as for bieng sociable, they deffinatly are i have two kids and he loves the attention from us, my dog spends hour at our side getting strokes. We also work in the outdoors with special needs and he is so gentle and great for a therapy dog.

They are not good being left for long times and are fantastic escape artists hence the high fence requirement.

If you want a dog that follows you everywhere off lead they are not for you but if you want a dog with a very different character and very loving then go for it...

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Rewards to get them to come back may net work considereing they can catch their own food.They are very clever and give you that look " i will come back when im ready"
And the other look when they get back to you,"Am I bovvered??" after you have chased them at 30 mph up the road :bluThinki

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
BorderReiver said:
Not good Dwardo. :(

Your dog needs to be under strict control ALL the time by the sound of it.

It would be a good idea to find a local training course where you and the dog can be taught how to behave. :p

I hear you :eek:

The place was fenced in in all directions and besides the odd sheep which she chased once and came back when called it was pretty safe. She has also never shown any signs of agression just stooopidity :rolleyes:

When walking her everday she does not get let off the leed at all and a training course is on teh books as well as daily training from me so :p right back at ya :D

Oh and the training course for ME theres no hope im well far too gone !

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
dwardo said:
I hear you :eek:

The place was fenced in in all directions and besides the odd sheep which she chased once and came back when called it was pretty safe. She has also never shown any signs of agression just stooopidity :rolleyes:

When walking her everday she does not get let off the leed at all and a training course is on teh books as well as daily training from me so :p right back at ya :D

Oh and the training course for ME theres no hope im well far too gone !

Don't you believe it.My dog was daft as a brush when he was younger.Took him to classes and I learned a lot about how to train a dog.
He's a bit less bloody minded now,thank goodness but I still have to keep an eye on him.

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
moocher said:
there was 2 neutered huskies and a racing rig on adtrader in abergavveny this week.

I noticed that when i was going to put the ad in for the pups.why would you sell 2 dogs that are 2 years old some people aint got a clue

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE