Hurrican Isaac

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've made a few posts on this on another thread but thought I'd start one here rather than hijack that thread.

As of now, Isaac's projected path is west of us here with landfall sometime late Tuesday or early Wednesday as a strong Cat 1 or weak Cat 2. But the eastern most path would put us in the right side of it (the right front side of a hurricane is where the most violent winds and strongest tornadic activity is) The western most path would leave us with just strong winds, rain, and thunderstorms here in the Panhandle. Of course the projections change evry 6 hours when new data is available from the Hurricane Hunter aircraft (a squadron of AF c-130s based on the Mississippi coast that does nothing but fly into hurricanes collecting data for NOAA.

Thursday and yesterday I bought most of my supplies: canned goods for a week, dog food, paper towels and paper plates, etc; and made sure I have 3 weeks supply of Rx meds. I bought 2 cases of half liter bottles of water (24 bottles per case) and stacked most of them into the empty spaces in the freezer (they'll help preserve the cold there are in an ice chest should I lose power) and I'll fill another 3 gallon water cooler as well as a 48 quart ice chest and the guest bathtub before it hits. I'll also wash the last load of clothing and dishes at the last moment. I'll continue to top off my gas tank every day (and I have 4 jerry cans I'll fill tomorrow if the projection looks like a hit close to here for a total of another 20 gallons) I have a half gallon of Coleman fuel but don't anticipate needing it as I have a gas stove; the gas mains are underground and the gas company maintain emergancy generators to keep the gas flowing (we've never lost gas supplies yet in my lifetime, even after the big hits when elect. was out for 3 weeks)

I'll update here every day unless/until I lose electricity and will update again immediately when electricity is restored.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Be well santaman2000, we'll hope landfall is somewhere where the hurricane can whirl itself out without causing anyone any grief.

atb,
M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow! - and the Brits are the ones who do nothing but complain about the weather..... you seem to have more reason to do so...
It sounds like you have made some comprehensive preps there - let us hope that they are not needed!
Good luck!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for all the good wishes.

It passed over Key West (and the rest ot the Keys) yesterday and last night (as a strong tropical storm) with no significant damage but left most of the Keys and a good deal of Miami (which was on the edge) without power.

Current project is for it to strengthen over the Gulf to a Cat 1 hurricane and make landfall near New Orleans. Of course the projections are variable and the cone (the shape made by connecting current location, with the furthest west and east points of possible landfall models) is from New Orleans, Louisiana in the west to Mobile. Alabame in the east (with a few stray models outside the cone) Just sent my grandson to school but if they don't change plans, Okaloosa County schools are set to be closed tomorrow as we are still officially under hurricane warning (meaning hurricane conditions are expected within 36 hours) LOL. He's said he wants to ride it out with me instead of his parents.

At one time there was one model that had it possibly making landfall in far west Louisiana or east Texas and then tracking up through the Great Plains. That would have been ideal as it have dropped immense rainfall in a severely drought stricken area; although it would have been less than ideal for the residents of Houston. In any case it appears that was more of a dream than a reality.

I'll update again tonight if there's any significant change, tomorrow otherwise.

Thanks again for all your good wishes.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Last update for tonight:

Current projection still bearing towards Eastern Louisiana or Western Mississippi. At the moment Isaak's still a strong tropical storm but almost to hurricane strength now and expected to strengthen to a Cat 1 before landfall tomorrow or Wednesday; still with a footprint over 150 miles. Some areas in it's path are expected to sustain winds for 12 to 36 hours due to slow moving nature of this storm and its large footprint and storm surge (tidal surge) expected to be high, possibly 12+ feet, due to the shallow slope at expected impact area. Current forecast here (Florida panhandle) is for tropical storm force with heavy rains and possible tornadoes. Winds already picking up.

Grandson's asleep on the couch and I'm about to go to bed for the night.

Will update when the morning reports change.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Isaac's officially a hurricane now. No change in direction or expected landfall. Still moving slowly but estimate of storm duration over any given area has been dropped to around 5 hours now. Projected storm surge unchanged. Locally it's calm at the moment although still under warnings.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
How do supplies hold up locally when (almost) everyone stocks up before a storm?

If we did anything like that here, our suppliers would run out of everything useful in a day or so...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
How do supplies hold up locally when (almost) everyone stocks up before a storm?

If we did anything like that here, our suppliers would run out of everything useful in a day or so...

As Southey said, most of our stores are geared more towards bulk buying (at least in comparison to yours) We typically shop fo a week or two during "normal" shopping. That said, many items do indeed sell out quickly when everyone shops at the same time just before a disaster. Bottled water was sold out at Walmart days ago (though I suspect they've restocked by now) as was Coleman fuel, charcoal, etc. Gasoline is sold out at many Mississippi and Louisiana stations now, as is plywood (for boarding windows) That's why the authorities reccomend you keep your emergency supplies well in advance and rotate them to keep them fresh.

That said, the larger chain stores will restock as soon as roads are re-opened after the fact. Many of them have their own emergency power (Florida law requires gasoline stations to have emergency generators, although that doesn't help until they are resupplied)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE