Hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

miles

Aug 11, 2010
UK
Do you mean private landowners? Or do you mean council as well? Are you not aloud to hunt on land that isn't owned privately?

Do you mean where am I going in the UK, or where abroad?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Do you mean private landowners? Or do you mean council as well? Are you not aloud to hunt on land that isn't owned privately?

All land is owned by someone in the UK, be it public or private. You won't get permission to hunt barehanded or with rocks on either as it will be considered barbaric in this day and age.

You need permission to hunt wherever you go and whatever method you use.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Miles,
I strongly suggest that you take a breath and re-read your question and the subsequent replies and perhaps view them from the point-of-view of a landowner or owner of some animal that you appear to view as "Fair Game". Your questions and seemingly deliberate mis-understanding puts you in a similar group to those thugs who refuses to accept that they have any responsibility other than to themselves.
Hunting in the UK is highly regulated, though accessible to those who remain within the law and are prepared to take the time and effort to learn about it.

There are many members that would be happy to help you learn so long as our rules are followed and guidelines adhered to.

Ogri the trog

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire

Do you mean where am I going in the UK, or where abroad?

where are you going abroad, why do you want to learn these things??? we need to work out if you are genuinely interested for a reason or just someone who wants to find the most abusive way to kill something....

its more of assessing why you want to learn these things and for what reason...

miles

Aug 11, 2010
UK
Ogri the trog: What? Why are you saying deliberate misunderstanding? Why are you being confrontational? I'm trying to find out about the laws. I want to go and live in the wild, in somewhere it is possible. I was just trying to find out the extent to which one can practice that in this country first. I've read all the replies, and I've read my questions, I wrote them remember? You're the one acting more like a thug, making assumptions and attacking me. I'm only asking questions.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
where are you going abroad, why do you want to learn these things??? we need to work out if you are genuinely interested for a reason or just someone who wants to find the most abusive way to kill something....

its more of assessing why you want to learn these things and for what reason...

Hunting abroad using the methods so far discussed is more likely to end in Miles being killed rather than the animal. A step back and an introduction to reality is needed in this thread. Seriously, unless you have been trained in these methods for many years and brought up with them, you are unlikely to kill one animal, let alone enough to sustain an independant life hunting and foraging.

miles

Aug 11, 2010
UK
I don't know yet where I want to go. I've looked at lots of places, I just want to go to the most suitable one. Why would I want the most abusive way to kill something? Why are you even asking that? I already said that it was because I wanted to hunt minimalistically.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ogri the trog: What? Why are you saying deliberate misunderstanding? Why are you being confrontational? I'm trying to find out about the laws. I want to go and live in the wild, in somewhere it is possible. I was just trying to find out the extent to which one can practice that in this country first. I've read all the replies, and I've read my questions, I wrote them remember? You're the one acting more like a thug, making assumptions and attacking me. I'm only asking questions.

You can't practice those skills in the UK. You need to live with native people for months if not years to gain the knowledge to live alone in the wild. Even with full kit and firearms it is a near impossible thing to achieve. You won't learn anything in the UK, and you won't gain any experience other than starvation.

miles

Aug 11, 2010
UK
Hunting abroad using the methods so far discussed is more likely to end in Miles being killed rather than the animal. A step back and an introduction to reality is needed in this thread. Seriously, unless you have been trained in these methods for many years and brought up with them, you are unlikely to kill one animal, let alone enough to sustain an independant life hunting and foraging.

OMG... I asked about these things, because I already know that spearhunting, bowhunting and deadfall traps are not allowed... in THIS country, which is what I was asking about.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Fear the budgie... budgies rule! :)

He is a red blooded killer....

DSC05705.jpg

miles

Aug 11, 2010
UK
I never said I was going to live in the wild alone.. not that that makes any difference. I can practise spear making, bow making, arrow making, archery, spearthrowing, sheltermaking/sleeping/wildcamping, skinning, cordage making, clothes making to some extent and w/e else in this country. Those are skills. I was just trying to find out to what extent I could practise...

I don't think you don't need to live with native people...

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
OMG... I asked about these things, because I already know that spearhunting, bowhunting and deadfall traps are not allowed... in THIS country, which is what I was asking about.

You'll find that they are illegal in many countries too. If you don't have a rifle or decent airgun, you won't take enough game to sustain yourself, and even then you would find it impossible to live solely off the land IN THE UK.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i kinda have to agree with JD. i have lived with many different tribes in different countries and still struggle to make a living out of it even in those places. if you really want to learn things like this in a western setting, maybe you should consider going to canada and doing a course or internship or something like that.

maybe look at getting proper instruction in the uk on a course about tracking and trapping. that sounds like something that might interest you and point you in the right direction. hands on learning is better than hearing from us anyway.

i wasnt accusing you dont worry, just saying it how it is, thats who i am!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I never said I was going to live in the wild alone.. not that that makes any difference. I can practise spear making, bow making, arrow making, archery, spearthrowing, sheltermaking/sleeping/wildcamping, skinning, cordage making, clothes making to some extent and w/e else in this country. Those are skills. I was just trying to find out to what extent I could practise... You don't need to live with native people...

To learn how to use those tools effectively, you do need to live and learn from native people profficient in their use. You can't learn from chucking spears at coke cans in your back yard, you need to be taught. Not just that but stalking, tracking and dispatch to name a few. You also need to learn more about the game, which also means being taught. It's not something you can learn from the internet or from a book. Close your eyes and ears to all this important stuff if you wish, your life. But why come here asking for advice, then get it and dismiss it as it's not what you want to hear.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I never said I was going to live in the wild alone.. not that that makes any difference. I can practise spear making, bow making, arrow making, archery, spearthrowing, sheltermaking/sleeping/wildcamping, skinning, cordage making, clothes making to some extent and w/e else in this country. Those are skills. I was just trying to find out to what extent I could practise...

I don't think you don't need to live with native people...

you could of course practise those things in the uk. but most of those things arent legal to use so you couldnt actually practise using them... thats the point. the weaponry i mean. I would love to sit down and make those things if i had the time, just for ornamental reasons to be honest.

the cordage and clothes making! do it mate! get the info off of here to get you started and crack on!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE