hunting knife in progress

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
just finished rough shaping the handle on this hunter, a composite of black g10 and black linen micarta. the g10 replaces some of the tang to reduce weight but leaves it stronger than a stick tang. once sanded the g10 should blend in with the micarta.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They're nice solid looking knives there. What sort of dimensions are they, I'm finding it difficult to get a good scale on them. Lovely work though.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
They're nice solid looking knives there. What sort of dimensions are they, I'm finding it difficult to get a good scale on them. Lovely work though.

thanks, the larger one has a 150mm long blade, the smaller has a 100mm blade. both made from 6mm o1 tool steel

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
They are lovely looking knives, real stunners. What sort of sheath are you thing of for them?

Sent from somewhere?

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
cheers, have finished sanding... sheaths next, though im not sure what to do about the hunter... it wants a decent leather sheath unfortunately leather aint my strong point...

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
thanks, the larger one has a 150mm long blade, the smaller has a 100mm blade. both made from 6mm o1 tool steel

How much does it weigh please Mark?
I am a big fan of your knives as you know, and this is no exception, you have come on leaps and bounds in a very short space of time, and the quality, attention to detail and F&F of your blades is exemplary.
If i were to be completely honest, i think that at 6mm, the blade thickness in this instance is possibly too much for a hunting knife, you are effectively only cutting into flesh and cartilage, and a knife of this thickness and consequent weight may feel a bit clumsy in the hand, and therefore heavy going if having to clean several beasts out at one time, taking the thickness down to 4mm or so would drastically reduce the weight of the knife, and do exactly the same job.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
How much does it weigh please Mark?
I am a big fan of your knives as you know, and this is no exception, you have come on leaps and bounds in a very short space of time, and the quality, attention to detail and F&F of your blades is exemplary.
If i were to be completely honest, i think that at 6mm, the blade thickness in this instance is possibly too much for a hunting knife, you are effectively only cutting into flesh and cartilage, and a knife of this thickness and consequent weight may feel a bit clumsy in the hand, and therefore heavy going if having to clean several beasts out at one time, taking the thickness down to 4mm or so would drastically reduce the weight of the knife, and do exactly the same job.

thanks, 6mm is all the stock i have at the moment but will be ordering 4mm, 5mm and 6mm next time. the hunter was made from a short off cut left over the full flat grind takes a lot of weight out of the blade and this one has a half tang, its actually quite nicely balanced and doesnt feel heavy. i have one meter of 6mm left and will be using it for a couple heavier choppers. i know what you mean though, i could have made it with 4mm.
it weighs in at around 225 gms, balance point is just in front of the first pin

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
thanks, 6mm is all the stock i have at the moment but will be ordering 4mm, 5mm and 6mm next time. the hunter was made from a short off cut left over the full flat grind takes a lot of weight out of the blade and this one has a half tang, its actually quite nicely balanced and doesnt feel heavy. i have one meter of 6mm left and will be using it for a couple heavier choppers. i know what you mean though, i could have made it with 4mm.
it weighs in at around 225 gms, balance point is just in front of the first pin

Cheers, not as much as i thought, you have, as you say removed some weight with the partial tang and FFG, but still, at a shade under half a pound, a tad on the heavy side for a hunter, but that is only my opinion, thanks for showing :)

Last edited:

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
Cheers, not as much as i thought, you have, as you say removed some weight with the partial tang and FFG, but stil,l at a shade under half a pound, a tad on the heavy side for a hunter, but that is only my opinion, thanks for showing :)

no worries bud, it weighs less than my schrade tough multitool which weighs in at 250 gms

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
just finishing up the sheaths for these two, 2mm olive kydex. the leather belt loops will be added later as are still drying after a bit of wet forming.

Oct 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Well I received my knife today (the smaller one in this thread) and am absolutely delighted with Mark's workmanship.
I have a couple of his earlier knives and follow his progress with great interest. His talent and particularly the rate at which he has gone from a novice maker to a highly accomplished one, is nothing short of staggering.

For anyone who has been admiring Mark's knives and considering a purchase - I strongly recommend his work. His work is starting to get snapped up, so if you snooze, you'll loose!

Cheers Mark. Keep them coming.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
Well I received my knife today (the smaller one in this thread) and am absolutely delighted with Mark's workmanship.
I have a couple of his earlier knives and follow his progress with great interest. His talent and particularly the rate at which he has gone from a novice maker to a highly accomplished one, is nothing short of staggering.

For anyone who has been admiring Mark's knives and considering a purchase - I strongly recommend his work. His work is starting to get snapped up, so if you snooze, you'll loose!

Cheers Mark. Keep them coming.

thanks Beater, very kind and i certainly will keep them coming!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE