Hunting and trapping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Reading Adi's thread on Drags or stakes made me wonder who has done or still does any snaring or trapping or ferreting or whos a shooter or who likes to hunt with birds of prey or dogs? I have over the years coursed, snared trapped and shot (i still shoot) and i love to ferret and have flown birds of prey (i've had a barn owl and a kestrel,and hunted with harris and red tail hawks), i always use what i have hunted and nothing goes to waste, expecially with ferrets about, id never kill anything with out good reason and never shoot unless im sure of a good clean kill. I know this may be a controversial subject but the best meat is always what you have gained your self and not off the shelf of a supermarket, it always tastes better IMO :wink: (apologys to the vegetarians)

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I snare (usually rabbits, but do get the occaisional pheasant too), fish (fly and sea) and a friend has a couple of Harris hawks and a lurcher which we sometimes get out with.
I do however wish that I knew more about edible mushrooms, is there someone/somewhere that runs a course?

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
In the past I have shot, snared, hunted with birds (Red-tail hawk) and ferrets. That is until the Red-tail killed the ferret :yikes:
I've always been a fisherman. I've done beach, boat, course, carping and piking. My favourite is piking, especially over nighters in the winter :chill:
Get a fire going in side my Kata, whisky-mac in my Kuksa and a couple of deadbaits out in the river..... Heaven
Sometimes I even catch a fish or two :rolmao: :rolmao:

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I have a set of snares and purse nets, I'd get a long net it that wasn't a two person and a dog job. If I'm going past the lake after dark I'll also have stick with me - used for leaning on if anyone's around or lobbing at food if all's clear. I like this 'as long as noone sees' condition - keeps the fun of poaching in it. I only ever fish if I'm intending to catch something to eat- can't stand these kiddies paddling pools, er did I say that? I meant to think it, I mean commerical carp fisheries.

Realgar

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I like to do a bit of shooting, maily rabbit and pigeon but occaisonally get a days game shooting as reward for my efforts as a beater.

Never snared or ferreted and am so envious of those of you who have hunted with birds of prey.

Dave

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I do alot of deer stalking, in fact too much if you listen to my wife! :roll:

I also do a bit of fox control mostly calling them in to a lamp & rifle, but I have snared them as well.

Never really tried snaring rabbits; I use the .22LR for taking those.

Regards,

Pete

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Bet you can't guess what I do :eek:):

Artic Hobo, do a search. There have been several threads about hunting laws in the UK here.

Cheers

Mark

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Artic Hobo,

Take a look around http://www.deer-uk.com and that site will give you a good idea whats species are available in the UK.

Briefly, (very!) as far as the law goes, in the UK, you need to have permission to hunt or take deer from the landowner or the person who holds the shooting rights as there is basically no free public hunting as say in the States.

The rifle must meet certain ballistic criteria which boils down to a minimum of a .243Win, except in Scotland where you can use a min of .222Rem for Roe only (the rest are .243Win min) no bow nor handgun hunting.

You must use expanding ammunition by law ie no solids or cheap military ball.

You can legally use another persons rifle as long as they are with you supervising and of course they have the correct FAC.

To own your own rifle, you must first apply for an FAC ( lasts 5 years and cost about £50?? first time, but cheaper after) and tell the police its for deer stalking. You will also need a special variation to buy expanding ammunition.

The law says you don't need a game license to take deer on "enclosed land" but what is classified as "enclosed land" is very much a grey area...its easier to spend £7 and buy a game license to avoid any possible hassle. You get these over the counter at the post office.

BASC and the British Deer Society offer some introduction courses but they are getting quite expensive now. Unless money is no object, your main problem will be find land to stalk over as it can go for a premium these days. If you know a friendly farmer with a deer problem your quids in!

You need to check what the close season for the species your interested in taking is as they are different and also vary between England/Wales and Scotland...

No shooting deer at night.

I would like to think we have very high standards of conduct in the UK as far as stalking goes.

Long range shooting is frowned on and to start with, on woodland species, you will be expect to confine your shots to within 100m as a rule of thumb.
You will also be expected to only take heart/lung shots on deer that are stationary and broadside on.

The chap who was my mentor when i started gave me the following advice which has always stayed with me.

He would say taking the shot is the least important and most important part of the day. It is the least important in that it does not matter if you don't get a chance, enjoy being out and being part of nature.

On the other hand, Its the most important part of the day in that when you do decide to pull the trigger, you *must* ensure that animal is dispatched quickly and humanely; that is your over riding responsiblity and if you have any doubts at all, don't take the shot!

If you want anymore help or info, please feel free to ask...

Regards,

Pete

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
The other thing to mention is that police forces are 'encoraging' people to do a course before issuing an FAC.

They have no right to refuse you a license if you refuse, but they are very reluctant.

After all, are you going to argue with a policeman who's issuing the license - even if he's legally in the wrong.

The only other way is to get a mentor to teach you, then the mentor can write a letter saying you're competent and you should be OK.

Cheers

Mark

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Not the same thing at all in the eyes of the law.

FAC = firearms license aka rifles

Shotguns are totally different

CHeers

Mark

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
tomtom said:
are we talking rifle liscenses here as apposed to shotguns?

or is it all the same thing when it comes to gun liscences?
Talking FAC Fire arms certificate, i had to join a club be a member for 6mnths then the club secretary forwarded my details to the Police then i applied, they like you to proove you have a valid reason to have them, Compatition or control of vermin, even though you are entitled to the damn thing, they just make life hard for you.Shot gun licence is not quite as difficult but it helps if you are already a member of a club be it clay or game/vermin.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
If you have a criminal record,other than that i think you are within your rights to have one, they can make things hard for you if your pad is not upto scratch security wise but they make recomendations and you do them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE