hunter Class

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The reason I got mine long was that the 8 footers were a more consistent diameter within each pack of 10. 6 foot canes varied from 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch, often tapering from one to the other within a single cane. Not really good. The longer canes didn't show as much taper.

It was only afterwards that I thought about it and realised that you could probably do quite well with smaller canes, just using more of them. If you have a pack of ten that will probably be fine.

I hope that we have enough cordage to bind the canes with. :?: Dunno whether Dave was planning on providing it, or thought I was, or what? Regular packaging string is good enough. Paracord is a bit too slippy. If push comes to shove...Duck Tape to the rescue!! :lol:

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Hmmm...

I was thinking that the ones I usually use to stake tomato/bean plants with would be OK, but I seem to recall that they taper. Do the canes need to be the same thickness for their entire length? (Also need to find my waxed thread/string to tie them up with...)

Does anyone know if we need to bring something to make the bowstring out of? I can't remember where I packed my dacron!

Re: Buckshot's shopping list - think we may need to come along for Thursday night now; if we turn up at 9am Friday we're bound to miss out on the breakfast! :)

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Cheers Chris. What sort of cordage will be required? Would green garden string be sufficiently strong?

I'm hoping to make the Thursday night, but I've got scout stuff that must be sorted out before I go.

What's Wildlifes view of alcahol on course eveinings? There's a spiced cider that I love sharing out around the fire...

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
For waxed string, look at cobblers supply places - that's where I get mine... It's actually waxed linen thread which is (was) apparently used to repair carpets, but works really well for a multitude of other purposes... :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I suppose that in theory the more things that are tried as lashings, the better the learning experience will be. People will get to see the pros and cons of different things. Waxed linen is very strong, and can stick well, but can cut the hands if you aren't careful. Softer strings are easier on the hands, but may slip.

Green garden twine is jute isn't it? I trust you don't mean the bailer twine stuff? It might work, not sure. Give it a go :biggthump

Dave has some dacron, I am bringing a bit as backup, plus some linen. Think we will be OK for bowstring making. Of course, if you want to bring your own I am sure that would be fine too :)

I aim to be there Thursday night.

Don't stress the cane dimensions too much. Bring what you have, then see how they work. I like more uniform thickness canes, but tapered ones should still work, you just need a few more. The number that Dave said to bring will be fine.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well, your gonna love this - Latest from DG on my voicemail - Bring some string :eek:): - He does not specify so if we all bring plenty hopefully there will be enough super string to go around.
And also a metal file. Thats for filing metal :)
See you tomoorrow or Friday then - can't wait

Cheers
Rich

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Yup. I asked what type of string - waxed, unwaxed, butchers - he said anything, just to bind the canes with...

Can't wait now - although we're coming first thing Friday, so hopefully buckshot won't turn up with a fresh carcass too early; don't want to miss out on that brekkie!

See y'all there!

:wave:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
outdoorgirl said:
Can't wait now - although we're coming first thing Friday, so hopefully buckshot won't turn up with a fresh carcass too early; don't want to miss out on that brekkie!

See y'all there!

:wave:

Lets not get too carried away now :nono: . I'd advise having breakie before you leave or at least taking some with you just in case I come back empty handed... :shock:

See you all tomorrow.

Mark

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Can anyone bring some extra bamboo please :oops:
All the shops here have got rid of their gardening sections and have gone to christmas already :yikes:

Thanks

Ed

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hey Ed, why do you think I went and bought all those canes? It certainly wasn't because I need them all :rolmao:

I think I should be able to find you enough :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE