hunter Class

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DG

Dec 31, 2003
www.wildernessliving.co.uk
Hi All
Seems like you need A few words about the Hunter Class from him wot knows - Me

Only pre-req of Wild Life basic class for folk who have no bushcraft skills and may have found my site or info pack, it's a skills based workshop that needs some amount of basic wilderness knowledge, if you have attended any Schools basic class or you can convince me that you know a Bow drill from a Long bow then you can sign up.

This class is run so that the knowledge and skills of hunting do not disappear, we hope to include as many aspects of hunting as we can cram in over three days like, Bow hunting, skinning, butchering skills, stalking & camo, cooking, arrow making and primative fishing if we can fit it in! We have lots of instuctors on this one cos they all have diverse skills that will expand everyones knowledge further.

I also want all to know that this class will also be about respect for the animals and enviroment and I will be very intolerant of folk who may see this as an opportuny to satisfy their blood lust!

Start 9am Friday 8 Oct-finish 5pm Sunday 10 Oct unless we're having too good a time! £150, however there will be a substantial discount for BCUK members on booking.

Hope to see you all in the woods - DG

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
DG, I am potentially very interested in doing this course, would it be possible for me to phone wildernessliving to discuss wether the knowedge I have (without doing the basic course) is sufficient?

Thanks,

John

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Hi John, give him a ring - the phone number is on the website
I think that the number is old, not sure if it still in use.... on the hunter course letter it has a 'new' office number!!!
I'll pm you womble.

Ed

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hey Ed, Think you could PM me that number too?

I was getting all geared up to come, but haven't heard a thing yet, only learned today that letters had been sent :shock: :?: Think I need to give Dave a call and check if I am coming.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Right - Just got off the Phone with DG, he send his apologies to those who have been trying to contact them, they have just moved office so the old number should divert to the new one.... :roll:
Anyway DG has said its OK to put the number on here so :

Wild Life - Tel 0118 9842500

You'll probably get an answer machine, as they are in the woods. So leave your number :p

Hope that helps

Rich

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The purpose of the bamboo canes is to make a bow each. I have got hold of about 50 8foot long canes the right diameter, not all are fully seasoned, hope to have them a bit drier. So, there will be a few spare canes about if anyone is stuck.

I might also have some spare arrows, but the spine (stiffness, very important) could be off

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I rang Quicks (waterlooville) to buy the stuff on the suggested minimum list, but they were unwilling to sell me arrows without me being able to tell them:

1) the length of arrow required
2) the type of bow they are to be used with, and
3) the poundage of said bow.

I've left a message with Wildlife for clarification on these points, but if anyone else knows whats needed, any help would be appreciated.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
the list was with the directions etc.

Ok. Quicks are just trying to help. I know what bows dave has, and i am brining the rest.

Get some Pine 40/45 arrows at 30". you are learning, and you will end up shortening them as you break the ends off. Matching arrows to a bow is a very individual thing, and you dont know until you try them out.

If they still wont help, complain.

if you are a giant or an imp, pm me and i will advise.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Dave sent my joining instructions the other day, then included the following list.

Specilised Extra Gear List
Minimum kit list:

• Long shot wooden 5/16th arrows fitted with field points, 3" feathers for a 35/40lb bow. Catalogue GS55=£31.62 x 6
  • Paket of 6 spare field points 100-125 grain VP06/7 £3.84
  • Leather archery glove MH51 £15.95
  • 6 x Stainless steel tea spoons
  • 8-10 bamboo canes, 5-6 feet long and 1/2 inch diameter, check for cracks and damage

If you shoot a centre shot recurve then you will want slightly stiffer (higher spine) arrows than you will shooting a longbow. Bigger feathers will be more forgiving if the arrow spine isn't exactly right for the bow, I like 5" rather than 3". The aim of the bamboo canes is to make a simple bow, probably won't get over 40lb though. This would count as a longbow since the arrows have to flex around the handle when shot.

The "standard" draw length is about 28", so 30" arrows will work well.

A pair of simple leather finger tabs will be a lot cheaper than an archery glove and will do the job on bows up to 50lb without much problem. I have never used a glove, plenty of hunters like them for the added dexterity, but plenty also like tabs. Having two layers in the tab gives better protection

T-spoons, I don't think you want these too big, nothing over an inch wide I would think. They won't be much good as spoons by the end of the weekend so don't go bringing your wife's favourites! :rolmao:

If you are buying field points, you might like to get some pile glue, the hot melt sort sold just for archery. That and a bic lighter let you put piles (points) on in the field.

Hope I haven't given too much away :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE