Hunter catapult

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paul1969

Dec 13, 2010
Birmingham
Does anyone have experince on Hunter catapults? Looking at buying one. Seen others which are modern but I prefer the look of hunter.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
I have one, great little catty IMO, small, simple, light and powerful. I got the meal deal when i bought mine, gives you everthing you need! (well apart a good aim! lol)

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I wouldn't part with mine - a true pocket rocket and, as long as you learn to shoot it properly, a very serious game getting tool.

Stuff some old carpet or similar into a cardboard box and tape your animal/bullseye target on the outside. When finished, you can retrieve your ammo. I've lost 3 lead shot in the last couple of months out of lots of shots taken (I swear the rabbits jumped to one side a la Matrix :D) but I've lost none when target practising using this method.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The hunter pults are brilliant and its nice to support a small business, fish is a nice fella.
I take mine out on my daily dog walks, hand full of posh gravel from a neigbours driveway and i am off! Best way to practice.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
They are very similar to the stretcher that came free with the beano many years back . I have seen some amazing results with them . Got the Barnett pro diablo myself but would struggle to hit a barn if i was stood inside it !! Way to complicated . Would like a go on one of the hunter ones .
Pumbaa

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Ive got a barnett black widow, it will get you lunch but Im going to invest in a hunter when the missus gives me some pocket money. You can spend £25 on a barnett with all them bloody things hanging off it. So a hunter for the same price. A hand made bit of kit that genuinley fits in your pocket that WILL stop them dead. I had a shoot of my mates last week. It's more accurate, to my eye atleast. I think it's down to it been narrower. I've had 8 pigeons a rabbit and a duck this year with my barnett. But one pigeon only got injured and made wanna look at a hunter. Ethical hunting should always come first

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
Hi Guys, I've recently made my own 'milbro' style catapult... The lovely alloy 'blank' was only £9.... i've polished it, added curly birch scales and black widow rubbers. Very pocket size, very powerful and looks the biz... I'll post a pic when i work out how !

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Hi Guys, I've recently made my own 'milbro' style catapult... The lovely alloy 'blank' was only £9.... i've polished it, added curly birch scales and black widow rubbers. Very pocket size, very powerful and looks the biz... I'll post a pic when i work out how !

Please do, I'm interested how you fix the rubber on it! (have a similar situation)

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
Hi Marcelxl.... I found a very simple and effective method of fixing the tube type rubber to a milbro catapult.... First of all i would suggest you countersink the catty holes before you start just to take off the sharp edges. When you get your barnett rubber, it comes with 2 small plastic caps... Cut the caps down to about half the size so they look like little bullets. Push the tubing through your catapults holes so a good inch or so is poking out..... push the little bullets into the rubber tubing and thats it!!! Looks like it won't hold, but it does hold and looks nice and tidy... I guess you could glue the bullets in if you want, but mine have been just pushed in for lots of shots now, and still holds firm. Try it and good luck.

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
Some pic's to explain.....
DSCF1552.jpg

DSCF1554.jpg

DSCF1555.jpg

DSCF1557.jpg

DSCF1558.jpg

DSCF1528.jpg

Not my hand by the way....;)

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
There are different ways to attach the bands - personally I would use a 9mm steel ball bearing in the ends of the tubes - just moisten the ends of the tubes (spit) and same on the BB, then push the BB into the ends of the tubes.

Remember you are putting a lot of strain on the tubes when you pull back and being slapped in the eye with a band is no joke, so the bands need to be firmly fixed. Personally I wouldn't trust the caps from the Barnett - if you want to use a peg, try using a small plastic rawl- type plug. BBs are easier though

Traditionally the band was looped through the eyes on the Milbro and a peg pushed therough the loop to stop them pulling out.

You can get lots of info on attaching bands here - go to making a slingshot, rubber attachments, scroll down until you get to the loop through hole method:
http://melchiormenzel.de/

Cheers

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE