Hummingbird Hawkmoths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All the butterflies and moths seem late here this year Kris - the chalk hill blues aren't around yet for example

Sep 27, 2007
essex
All the butterflies and moths seem late here this year Kris - the chalk hill blues aren't around yet for example

It seems to be an odd year for most things. We have had a few or the usual moths and butterflies here, but as you say most are pretty late. Having said that I have seen lots of bees this year, even from Jan!

Kris

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
was lucky enough to head over to the Isles of Scilly last weekend and there's a guy there 'Mick from the Longstone Centre' that apparently has one of the two best gardens in Britain for moths. Pretty sure he said he'd had hummingbirds already but then conditions there are very different. He checks his moth traps every morning and on the morning I was there he had a privet hawkmoth and my first sighting of a 'buff tipped'. never seen one before but they're AMAZING!! and now got me fully hooked.
If anyone ever gets the chance, tis really worth going to see him as he's very helpful/ knowledgeable and has all sorts of migrants coming through.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Here are a couple of pics I took a few years ago, seems it was about when the budlia was in flower so a good while later for us.

hummingbirdhawkmoth1e.jpg

hummingbirdhawkmoth2.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
was lucky enough to head over to the Isles of Scilly last weekend and there's a guy there 'Mick from the Longstone Centre' that apparently has one of the two best gardens in Britain for moths. Pretty sure he said he'd had hummingbirds already but then conditions there are very different. He checks his moth traps every morning and on the morning I was there he had a privet hawkmoth and my first sighting of a 'buff tipped'. never seen one before but they're AMAZING!! and now got me fully hooked.
If anyone ever gets the chance, tis really worth going to see him as he's very helpful/ knowledgeable and has all sorts of migrants coming through.
Nice one Angie, I am into the moths meself, check this old thread for the amazing buff tip.. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13981&highlight=spot+moth

I have not seen any hummingbird hawk moths yet but I shall be watching the buddlea's in anticipation. I have only ever seen one before..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE