Human disasters...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Just to illustrate a point (with some info I found on the internet). When a natural distaster of the Tsunami magnitude strikes, people respond (are seeming to at this present time) with a great deal of support. But when the disaster is directly man made (I accept that the Tsnami could be interpreted by some as such) the response is...it's not our country, our government so we won't help...here's some statistics to show just how many people are dying in the Congo...consistently. P.S I make no personal judgement about the comparison, but it is one that we should be aware of...

SENEGAL
DRC death toll at 3.8-million
Ellen Knickmeyer
Posted Fri, 10 Dec 2004

Six years of continuing conflict in Congo have claimed 3.8-million lives, nearly half of them children, with most victims killed by disease and famine in the still largely cut-off east, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) said in a study.

The international association has produced the most widely used running estimate of deaths in Congo, Africa's third-largest nation.

More than 31 000 civilians continue to die monthly as a result of the conflict, despite peace deals that ended major fighting in the 1998-2002 war, the New York-based group said on Thursday, citing mortality surveys prepared with the assistance of on-site teams of physicians and epidemiologists.

Congo's death toll remains a third higher than the rest of sub-Saharan Africa 18 months after major peace deals, the IRC said.

Most deaths come from easily treatable ailments, it said, citing measles epidemics known to have swept populations in the foreign and rebel-held east during the war.

"In fact, Congo is the deadliest war the world has seen since the end of the Second World War and these staggering figures have gone largely ignored by the media and world leaders," Dr Richard Brennan, director of the organisation's health unit, told Associated Press Television News in New York.

Deaths among children accounted for 45.4 percent of the 500 000 estimated deaths from conflict in the latest deaths between the survey period of January 2003 and April 2004.

Sporadic but persistent clashes and tensions continue to limit civilian access to humanitarian assistance, food supplies and basic medical care.
Seventy percent of Congo's estimated 60-million plus people still have no secure access to food, international agencies estimate.

When does one tragedy outweigh another...how and why do we judge who 'deserves' it and should we be making any judgements at all? Are we so blind to the human disasters that are happening every single day, that in comparison, can make a Tsumani seem small?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Thanks Kim

Much of our outlook is dictated by the media (especially the evil TV)

I wonder when anyone last considered the awful AIDS toll for example?

No i do not wish to belittle the tsunami victims, I just feel that all too often our attention is focussed on what the media wishes us to see, and less on what is happening in the world.

Tant

jakunen

Native
Very valid points.

To throw in my admittedly cynical view having had personal contact with the press...

The horrors of the Tsunami are headline news and so sells papers... the continuing strife in the Congo is 'so yesterday darling!'.

The former is shocking, the latter we've become desensitsed too, 'been there, seen it, reported it'.

I'm by no way condoning the media's attitude. I personally hate it. They'd rather show pictures of horros abroad to boost their sales, than report on 'old news'.

Any chance they get to show new horror, they will and not bother about the homelss at home, the OAPs freezing to death as our own governemt cuts their pensions, reduces their fuel pay out, etc, etc, etc. If its not shocking, or they can't twist the story to be horrific, they just don't want to know.

I'm not belittling the crisis at all, if my sister's husband hadn't been such a tight-fisted git, my sister would have been in Thailand, it's just a bugbear of mine the way the press behave.

Rant over.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
You have to remember the "boiling a frog" adage as well. The majority of the victims of the tsunami were killed in a few minutes. The victims in other "disasters" man made or otherwise often build slowly. At what point does someone stand up and say "this is awful"? easy with a tsunami - not so easy with something more insidious like war or famine.

george

jakunen

Native
That's half the problem, a few people try to speak up about the slow poisoning of the countryside, or the insidous horror of cancer or whatever, but unless it goes bang or such, Old Murdoch and his cronies just don't care as its not attention grabbing.

X hundred thousand die a year of cancer a year, big deal.

X hundred thousand die in typhoon - hold the front page!!!

While it is very sad that all those people have died and countless more will die as famine, choloera, TB, and christ knows what else ravage the affected countries, I do wish that 'the media' wouldn't try to sensationalise only the major horrors to just increase their market share and give some column inches to more 'mundane' issues, like the homeless etc at home or the Congo, or the plight of the wildlife in Iritria...

Ok, I'm gonna shut up know before I get too wound up and offend someone with my cynical views. Apologies to anyone if I've already done so.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Interesting and valid points Kim.

That said, it would probably be best if people reading this thread tried to refrain from jumping in too hard. We don't want to have a political/media discussion kick off.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
C_Claycomb said:
Interesting and valid points Kim.

That said, it would probably be best if people reading this thread tried to refrain from jumping in too hard. We don't want to have a political/media discussion kick off.

Now Chris, have you ever known anyone on this site to jump in the deep end... :wink: :eek:):

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
As I pointed out in the previous Tsunami thread, around 130,000 died in Bangladesh in '91 as a result of a cyclone.

There was not the same, I have to say hysterical, outpouring in the press or from peoples pockets. Probably (but not certainly IMHO) good from the victims point of view but you do have to wonder a bit. I do anyway.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Very good points. I decided not to give money to the tsunami appeal (apart from a fiver) as i thought that at this time the charity i am currently helping will be suffering due to lack of funds, it's a charity called KidzPositive and it works with the mothers of HIV/AIDS positive children in Gauteng, South Africa. This hospital is the leading one of it's kind and is the only lifeline these people have. Im setting up various Cardiff based campaigns and i will ask for help from people here (but thats in the future).

I worry that you may interpret this wrong, please don't. AIDS has a rather more personal effect on me, and of course statistical. 6,000 a day die in sub-saharan Africa.

I was of course shocked by the events on boxing day, and even though it affected me personally, i still made my decision to maintain my stance in supporting this charity.

jakunen

Native
Not sure how true this is but heard this morning that the Tsunami has pushed the Earth off its axis by about an inch or so (they haven't worked otu yet which way...) and this will result in us probably getting less hours of daylight - by only a few minutes, and that it will either push us into warmer, or colder climate conditions.

Which raises a very worrying question for future generations...
One of the main Greek islands is tipping up and will eventually cleave dropping half the island into the Med. This will cause a Tsunami that will smart 'small' and race across the Med until it hits the channel between Spain and Africa which will funnel it. The south coast of England (Southern Kent, through Dorest etc and goodbye Cornwall), before racing across the Atlantic until it hits the east of America at several hundred miles an hour and a height of 350ft (iirc), going 100 miles inland and wiping out the Eastern Seaboard.
If the comparativley small Tsunami in Thailand etc moved the earth off axis by a mere inch, what wil this one do?

Thankfully I'll never know as I'll be long gone by then, but as for my potential descendants...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Re the change in wobble of the axis. The information I found after reading this thread seems to indicate that the time change will only be of interest to those who tend atomic clocks! The nominal axis is unchanged, but the circle described by its axis as it spins in minutely changed. A fairly minor concern :roll:

If you worry about natural disasters all that is really open to you is go live in Montana with the militia and start stocking up for TEOTWAWKI. Oh...Sorry. Montana is right next to the Yellow Stone cauldera, which is overdue... :lol:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
jakunen said:
Not sure how true this is but heard this morning that the Tsunami has pushed the Earth off its axis by about an inch or so (they haven't worked otu yet which way...) and this will result in us probably getting less hours of daylight - by only a few minutes, and that it will either push us into warmer, or colder climate conditions.

Apparently this happens from time to time and isn't anything to worry about as it's such a small movement. The last big earthquake that hit us about 40 years ago did the same thing.

With regards to the press....wait and see how much coverage the Tsunami has by this time next month....then compare it to how much still needs doing to put things back in order....the circus rolls on and will be highlighting on something else by then....the next war, natural disaster or terrorist attack.....nuff said, we all know they do it so why are we suprised.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I think you're right, it will be almost unspoken of in a few months.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
This may be a bit overtly political, but how many of you have even heard of the genocide in Armenia by the Ottoman Turks? No shame in saying "no", truth is the media have not covered it because they don't want to - and because the government are trying to build an airbase in Turkey so they want to keep the Turks happy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE