Hultafors mini hatchet - any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
What is your view of the Fiskars axes?

Apart from the (relative) ugliness, I find their tools be extremely functional.

I have one mid size Fiskars axe, bought it in Norway a couple of weeks ago. Splits dried Birch logs very well. The handle is not comfortable imo ( personal view, I have extremely soft hands) but strong. Even when my aim was a bit off and I manged to hit part of the log on the handle - no damage.
Cheap as chips so you are not going to worry what you do with them.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I’ve taken a real fancy to mine, it holds the sharpness well & very comfortable in hand & on the wrist..it’s good for light work/ carving & general stuff around camp.
I generally leave the Agafors at home unless I’m off on a canoeing trip where weight isn’t an issue.
Pay around £80-90.
Thanks for the recommendation, I didn’t opt for the axe in the end and no doubt spent the vouchers on something more necessary or practical, it’s still on my watch list though.
There’s definitely something appealing about it though. I have a MOD knife that I’ve been using to split wood for the wood burner but it’s funny how the public view it, as a offensive weapon whereas a small axe is very much seen as a tool?

Reactions: henchy3rd

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
Thanks for the recommendation, I didn’t opt for the axe in the end and no doubt spent the vouchers on something more necessary or practical, it’s still on my watch list though.
There’s definitely something appealing about it though. I have a MOD knife that I’ve been using to split wood for the wood burner but it’s funny how the public view it, as a offensive weapon whereas a small axe is very much seen as a tool?
I have a hand digging tool that I use for metal detecting. It was originally designed as a Tulip bulb planter. But it looks very much like a long wide knife. I have seen a lot of cautious reactions to that. I try to keep it sheathed when not in use and that helps. Human nature I suppose.

Reactions: Wildgoose

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden

If you get a pink sheat and scales most will look on the knife as cute. How people sees things isn't allways logic.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but the recent posts peaked my interest again.
Has anyone tried Condor Axes? The scout hatchet seems to be a small size axe which may fit the bill for a decent price.

also I note Fiskars are offering their axes with a sold handle, anyone tried one?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Must admit that for a similar weight hatchet I'd usually prefer a longer haft than a bigger head.
It's a trend with framing hammers that I find seems to work well upto a point and they have 16-18 inch shafts.
Longer haft means you can get more speed instead of a slower but more massive head and for more delicate stuff you can choke your grip up by the head.
I'm not sure that translates to full size axes mind and you still have to be able to hit what your aiming at.

Having said that, I do really love the maul I have as well but I never have to carry that far.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but the recent posts peaked my interest again.
Has anyone tried Condor Axes? The scout hatchet seems to be a small size axe which may fit the bill for a decent price.

also I note Fiskars are offering their axes with a sold handle, anyone tried one?
Condor axes are ok for the money, handles need a quick sand down & wax, the head (may) need a slight going over with the puck too?
I use my Agador for spitting logs on the tow path.. it’s served me well over the years.

Reactions: Wildgoose

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I don’t mind a bit of finishing on a decent tool, although I once bought a mid range billhook and the amount of time and effort I put in to make it even half usable I would have been better off buying top of the range.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE