Gransfors Burke Mini Hatchet - review (56k warning)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Thanks for kind words! However, I got a question... would you drill the handle to put a small safety loop for chopping or for handing it? Mini is one of the very few GB axes without that hole.

No, I wouldn't add a lanyard to an axe. If I lose my grip on it I would rather that it flew from my hand than swung round and cut me.

However, I can't imagine ever letting an axe fly when using it.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
No, I wouldn't add a lanyard to an axe. If I lose my grip on it I would rather that it flew from my hand than swung round and cut me.

However, I can't imagine ever letting an axe fly when using it.

Thirded, lanyards on an axe are for hanging only imo and as such should only have a loop of an inch or two.

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
so... I did it. I drilled it, chamfered, put a short lanyard ("hanger" kind of). It adds grip and looks SO MUCH cooler now! :D

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
And direct comparison to Roselli Hunter's Axe:

gb_vs_roselli_01.jpg

gb_vs_roselli_02.jpg

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
I'm back! After 2 weeks in the wild Beskidy Mountains, South of Poland. I used my Gransfors A LOT during that time. For anything - preparing firewood, some cutting, initial carving of my Kuksa, etc. And now I love it even more than before! Some pic's below...

In the woods:

P7311753.jpg

Fire:

DSC_8333.jpg

Starting my first Kuksa:

DSC_8224.jpg

And another fire:

DSC_8359.jpg

DSC_8367.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE