Gransfors Burke Mini Hatchet - review (56k warning)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
Couple of days ago I finally decided to pull the trigger and bought my first Gransfors Burke axe - the Mini Hatchet. Why this model as the first one? Well, I've got mid-size Roselli hatchet already, so I thought that something smaller would be good choice. So I knew it was going to be small, and it was indeed SMALL when I unpacked it. Ver small... well, let's check what we can do with Mini Hatchet!

gransfors_mini_01.jpg

First of all I must say that it's first really portable serious mini axe I've played with. It's certainly not a toy! As you can see below I carry it attached to my small 16L backpack with MOLLE system via lether sheath and small piece of paracord. Paracord just positions/fixes the handle (no need to tie/untie it, it's just snug-fit double loop). That way I can carry it everywhere with me and it's easy to access without the need of opening the pack.

gransfors_mini_03.jpg

gransfors_mini_04.jpg

Size... as I said it is small, very small. About 27cm long (11") and quite lightweight (300g). Here it is compared to popular G-Shock Mudman and Atwood pry-minitool. That's of course one-hand axe. Thanks to the handle ergonomy I can work with it all-day long without any problem. The grip is very safe. And perfect ballanced! But that's also thanks to the overall small size.

gransfors_mini_09.jpg

The edge and profile of the head is thinner than in most of axes, but it's a specific feature, which makes it so special. When you swing it, it just "slices" deeply into the wood! It's not what you get with any other axe. And sure it's about profile and sharpness, not just "power". The weight is concentrated just behind the cutting edge, and that plus RAZOR SHARP edge makes every swing VERY effective! Just take a look at that branch below - it took me less than 30 seconds to went through it! You can examin how clean and long cuts are, and consider that it was made without support behind that limb, it was hanging free above the ground! Great performance!

gransfors_mini_05.jpg

gransfors_mini_06.jpg

And now check this - after some cutting & chopping I used my Mini Hatchet to make some feather sticks to check the edge - no problem at all, the edge was still scary sharp and ready for any job. I always carry my knife with me anyway, but it was a good way to check the sharpness and overall quality of the edge.

gransfors_mini_07.jpg

And final check - splitting wood. Is it possible at all to split hardwood with such a small hatchet? Sure it is! I used it to split some seasoned hardwood quite effectively, it took by average 2 swings per one "split", sometimes even one (but strong). Quite an easy job, but requires some accuracy and expirience in using axe. You need to be careful, as your hand is close to the log you split. Also be accurate, otherwise it's easy to dimple the handle. So I'd not recommend it for a beginner to use as a splitter, or at least as I said couple of times -> be carefull. OK, my Roselli is sure more effective splitter, but is also twice as long and 3 times (or more) as heavy. For a short trip I'd take just mini. But for a longer stay or bigger camp you need (or rather you'd prefer) something bigger.

gransfors_mini_10.jpg

Overall score? For me G.B. Mini Hatchet is simply perfect "carry hatchet". When you want to travel light, that's a great choice! However, you need to be aware about it's disadvantages, it's not an axe for heavy duty jobs of course! But for small camp jobs like building improvised shelter, preparing firewood, sharening sticks etc. it's more than enough for expirienced person. Some say it's good also for cutting, but I still prefer knife for that. And since I ALWAYS carry at leats one knife with me I'd use one of them for cutting anyway, not the axe. Want a good "carry hatchet" for a trip? For a week-long bushcraft fun? Get Mini Hatchet by G.B. and you won't be disappointed! I'm not! :)

gransfors_mini_11.jpg

Have fun! P.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Good little review there mate. The toffee hammer i call it :D They are small arent they. Great axes for what they are intended to do. Too small for lots of things though. Good job theres no limit to the amount of axes we can have or carry ;)

Love the bottom pic too.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I liked your review............ I love your photography!
happy0034.gif

Reckon there will be much appreciation for your articles and photographs, thanks for sharing!
happy0054.gif

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
An excellent review! Thanks for sharing. The mini has been my day hike companion now for many years. A wonderful little tool. :beerchug:

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
Thank goodness for that :) My one of those arrived 2 days ago so I'm glad I bought the right thing :D only planning on cutting down small log branches and splitting them for making spoons at the moment.

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
Thanks for kind words! However, I got a question... would you drill the handle to put a small safety loop for chopping or for handing it? Mini is one of the very few GB axes without that hole. I mean this kind of hole of course:

vildmarksyxa.jpg

Big Mark

Banned
Oct 9, 2007
London
Couple of days ago I finally decided to pull the trigger and bought my first Gransfors Burke axe - the Mini Hatchet. Why this model as the first one? Well, I've got mid-size Roselli hatchet already, so I thought that something smaller would be good choice. So I knew it was going to be small, and it was indeed SMALL when I unpacked it. Ver small... well, let's check what we can do with Mini Hatchet!

gransfors_mini_01.jpg

First of all I must say that it's first really portable serious mini axe I've played with. It's certainly not a toy! As you can see below I carry it attached to my small 16L backpack with MOLLE system via lether sheath and small piece of paracord. Paracord just positions/fixes the handle (no need to tie/untie it, it's just snug-fit double loop). That way I can carry it everywhere with me and it's easy to access without the need of opening the pack.

gransfors_mini_03.jpg

gransfors_mini_04.jpg

Size... as I said it is small, very small. About 27cm long (11") and quite lightweight (300g). Here it is compared to popular G-Shock Mudman and Atwood pry-minitool. That's of course one-hand axe. Thanks to the handle ergonomy I can work with it all-day long without any problem. The grip is very safe. And perfect ballanced! But that's also thanks to the overall small size.

gransfors_mini_09.jpg

The edge and profile of the head is thinner than in most of axes, but it's a specific feature, which makes it so special. When you swing it, it just "slices" deeply into the wood! It's not what you get with any other axe. And sure it's about profile and sharpness, not just "power". The weight is concentrated just behind the cutting edge, and that plus RAZOR SHARP edge makes every swing VERY effective! Just take a look at that branch below - it took me less than 30 seconds to went through it! You can examin how clean and long cuts are, and consider that it was made without support behind that limb, it was hanging free above the ground! Great performance!

gransfors_mini_05.jpg

gransfors_mini_06.jpg

And now check this - after some cutting & chopping I used my Mini Hatchet to make some feather sticks to check the edge - no problem at all, the edge was still scary sharp and ready for any job. I always carry my knife with me anyway, but it was a good way to check the sharpness and overall quality of the edge.

gransfors_mini_07.jpg

And final check - splitting wood. Is it possible at all to split hardwood with such a small hatchet? Sure it is! I used it to split some seasoned hardwood quite effectively, it took by average 2 swings per one "split", sometimes even one (but strong). Quite an easy job, but requires some accuracy and expirience in using axe. You need to be careful, as your hand is close to the log you split. Also be accurate, otherwise it's easy to dimple the handle. So I'd not recommend it for a beginner to use as a splitter, or at least as I said couple of times -> be carefull. OK, my Roselli is sure more effective splitter, but is also twice as long and 3 times (or more) as heavy. For a short trip I'd take just mini. But for a longer stay or bigger camp you need (or rather you'd prefer) something bigger.

gransfors_mini_10.jpg

Overall score? For me G.B. Mini Hatchet is simply perfect "carry hatchet". When you want to travel light, that's a great choice! However, you need to be aware about it's disadvantages, it's not an axe for heavy duty jobs of course! But for small camp jobs like building improvised shelter, preparing firewood, sharening sticks etc. it's more than enough for expirienced person. Some say it's good also for cutting, but I still prefer knife for that. And since I ALWAYS carry at leats one knife with me I'd use one of them for cutting anyway, not the axe. Want a good "carry hatchet" for a trip? For a week-long bushcraft fun? Get Mini Hatchet by G.B. and you won't be disappointed! I'm not! :)

gransfors_mini_11.jpg

Have fun! P.

Like it.

What is the cost?

Is the overall length just 11 inches? Looks longer.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thanks for kind words! However, I got a question... would you drill the handle to put a small safety loop for chopping or for handing it? Mini is one of the very few GB axes without that hole. I mean this kind of hole of course:

vildmarksyxa.jpg

I don't think it would have an effect on the integrity of the handle, however I can well imagine that if you were to lose your grip then the loop would allow the tool to swing around and strike your arm, its just long enough catch the Radial Artery Ouch! :eek:

These are my thoughts though, hang around and an Axe expert will be along shortly. :)

Is the overall length just 11 inches? Looks longer.

Here is a picture comparing it with the more common 'Small Forest' and 'Scandinavian' axes, their site suggests that it is 27cm long and 0.3kg.

axes.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE