Hultafors axes anyone ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
Good day gents. A vendor in Canada is introducing the Hultafors line for the first time here I believe. From what I've read, these are top notch axes. I am unsure if I would like to get the 11\4 lb. or the 13\4 lb. Hultafors forest hatchet. I am requesting, and would appreciate, any opinions in regard to these hatchets or the brand in general. Thank you.

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
My classic hunting axe by Hultafors came with a very uneven grind. Pretty much ground twice as high on one side and the back was also ground rather off. The handle was nice, rougher in finish than gransfors and a lot fatter, especially up to the head. The shape of the blade appealed to me and once Hultafors have sent me my replacement, something that has taken a few weeks of slow emails and what not i will be able to comment on the steel.

The forging looked even, well done and the sheath was unique but practical. Like I mentioned though, the grind was terribly uneven for the world oldest axe manufacturer!

The email reply comfirmed they saw a lack of precision in the grind but they insisted they are handmade, as not perfect. But it was the machine grinding, not the forging. They claim uneven grind wont hinder the performance but I disagree. I like symmetry and although I can correct it myself I refuse to! I don't think any company who sees minor or major faults in their products yet let them go out for sale are particularly professional. But I'm confident they will make it right, and I will get my axe, the way it should be.

They also say they'll refund my return postage.

My advice is pick a Swedish brand you like the look of best. Gransfors will be the finest finished and have the thinnest edges, wetterlings the fattest edges and hultafors somewhere in the middle, I believe same goes for husqvarna, although they may be the rougest finish when it comes to the steel.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I find hults bruks better overall than GB or Wetterlings. The choice of model depends on what you want to do with it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had the Hunter and found it a great axe ... but I preferred the handle size and shape of the GB SFA for this size of axe... personal preference (and I like slimmer handle knives as well) - both perform superbly for my needs :)

leon-1

Good day gents. A vendor in Canada is introducing the Hultafors line for the first time here I believe. From what I've read, these are top notch axes. I am unsure if I would like to get the 11\4 lb. or the 13\4 lb. Hultafors forest hatchet. I am requesting, and would appreciate, any opinions in regard to these hatchets or the brand in general. Thank you.

Over here these are reffered to as trekking axes (I hava trade account with them). One has a 8oogm head and the other has a 900gm head.

The 800gm head we tend to refer to as the man hatchet, good for splitting and not bad as a pack axe for travelling, don't expect it to replace a felling axe and don't expect to be carving with it, the grind and weight aren't conducive to tasks like that.

For most basic bushcraft use I actually prefer the 900gm trekking axe, it has the slightly longer handle, a bigger and heavier head for splitting. It can be used for a little bit of limbing and like any axe of this size it can be used to fell at a push.

I wouldn't be too upset with either had someone given me one.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
They are good axes. I use a couple of hultafors for work
The fit and finish on them does leave a lot to be desired though. I had to re-grind both of mine, its so uneven on the smaller of the two it could have passed for a chisel grind if you squinted at it :D

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
Thank you all for the answers and insight. It is interesting that two comments mentioned sloppy grinds, this can be corrected, but why should we have to ? I have a little Wetterlings Wildlife hatchet that I enjoy greatly, a SFA, and three Fiskars ( two hatchet variations and an X25 splitter). As was pointed out to me, what use would a new hatchet serve ? Hmmm, good question. I suppose that I should research to find the weights of these tools and grab a hatchet with a head somewhere between the Wiildlife and the SFA. This is basically a lust buy, with an eye on practical utility. The older I get the less interest I seem to have in large heavy axes.

Last edited:

leon-1

Thank you all for the answers and insight. It is interesting that two comments mentioned sloppy grinds, this can be corrected, but why should we have to ? I have a little Wetterlings Wildlife hatchet that I enjoy greatly, a SFA, and three Fiskars ( two hatchet variations and an X25 splitter). As was pointed out to me, what use would a new hatchet serve ? Hmmm, good question. I suppose that I should research to find the weights of these tools and grab a hatchet with a head somewhere between the Wiildlife and the SFA. This is basically a lust buy, with an eye on practical utility. The older I get the less interest I seem to have in large heavy axes.

The 800gm Trekking axe is the one inbetween in length alone, weight wise it's probably heavier in the head. I haven't got an 800gm trekking axe here at the moment, I have got the 900gm one here. I could get a photograph of one of these alongside of the GB SFA, GB Hunters, HF SY20, HF Splitting Axe, Snow & Nealley Hudson Bay axe or Warren Axe "Old Faithful" amongst others.

I have got to admit to being somewhat surprised that people have been reporting uneven grinds on the axes. I have 2 SY20 light felling axes and both are even, so are the 900gm trekking axe and the splitting axe that I have here (they are mine for use at work). They are also pretty good to work with, all of the Hultafors axes I have mentioned use the laquered axe steel, they are quite quick and easy to setup (I have never had an axe that needed no work at all) as the steel on them seems quite soft, however they do also hold an edge reasonably well.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I got the 900 trecking axe and the little mini classic. I love em both, the 900 trecking axe came not shaving sharp but very usable, the classic came in a nice box with a soft but well made mask, polished edge, razor sharp. I wouldn't buy anythi g else, these are awesome.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
No problems with my HY20 chopping axe, it's a very valued tool. A good all round axe that will sned, split, fell and at a push use one handedIt took 15 mins to tidy it up when new and takes and holds a decent edge. Easily holds a candle to wetterlings and GB.

Mine has seen a fair amount of cold weather work too, not a chip yet.

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
Over here these are reffered to as trekking axes (I hava trade account with them). One has a 8oogm head and the other has a 900gm head.

The 800gm head we tend to refer to as the man hatchet, good for splitting and not bad as a pack axe for travelling, don't expect it to replace a felling axe and don't expect to be carving with it, the grind and weight aren't conducive to tasks like that.

For most basic bushcraft use I actually prefer the 900gm trekking axe, it has the slightly longer handle, a bigger and heavier head for splitting. It can be used for a little bit of limbing and like any axe of this size it can be used to fell at a push.

I wouldn't be too upset with either had someone given me one.

I recently picked up a Wetterlings Scandinavian and played with it. The wife and I were going ice fishing but the word was that the perch were not cooperating. So we decided to take a walk, make a fire and have some tea.
I have the #106 Wetterlings Wilderness hatchet and the SFA. What Hultafors would you consider as being between those two ?

Last edited:

leon-1

I recently picked up a Wetterlings Scandinavian and played with it. The wife and I were going ice fishing but the word was that the perch were not cooperating. So we decided to take a walk, make a fire and have some tea.
I have the #106 Wetterlings Wilderness hatchet and the SFA. What Hultafors would you consider as being between those two ?

If we are talking about the Small Forest Axe and not the GB Scandinavian Forest Axe then I would look at the 800gm trekking axe. I used one for 6 weeks or so this summer for general camp craft and it is a pretty capable little axe. It makes a good little splitter.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I was lucky enough to get one of their Adgor range carpenters axes for Yule, very impressed. I had to spend an hour or so slightly altering the profile (it was curved slighyly at the edge and I wanted flat for a carpenters axe) and sharpening as well as refinishing the haft butnthe quality of the whole tool especially for the price is exceptional.
Oh...had to make a mask too, but if it was a Granfors I would have made a new one anyway!
ac805e41ef6384a1025c80a657b838a9.jpg

Last edited:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land

Last Mountain Lake? Or the Qu'Appelle Valley? I haven't seen that area in decades and tbh would rather not again:p. I like the bush too much. Funny to ''meet up'' on this side of the pond.:)

I was lucky enough to get one of their Adgor range carpenters axes for Yule, very impressed. I had to spend an hour or so slightly altering the profile (it was curved slighyly at the edge and I wanted flat for a carpenters axe) and sharpening as well as refinishing the haft butnthe quality of the whole tool especially for the price is exceptional.
Oh...had to make a mask too, but if it was a Granfors I would have made a new one anyway!
ac805e41ef6384a1025c80a657b838a9.jpg

I picked up the same axe a few months ago. Like yours, the edge was not square as it should be, but since I already have a carpenter axe, I put a curved edge on mine to use as a regular axe. A nice axe!

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
If we are talking about the Small Forest Axe and not the GB Scandinavian Forest Axe then I would look at the 800gm trekking axe. I used one for 6 weeks or so this summer for general camp craft and it is a pretty capable little axe. It makes a good little splitter.

I appreciate input from all members. If I just reply to a few it is only because I am too lazy to make the larger effort. I suppose that it is burdensome for members to guide my, at times ambiguous questions, when I don't have a defined direction myself. I am leaning heavily these days toward smaller axes and hatchets so this reply and others do help and are appreciated. I stumbled across a thread over here revealing that the Husqvarna hatchets are currently restamped Hults Bruk tools, available through local Husqvarna dealerships. So I ordered one. I found out later that they are the 600g heads. That's not a deal breaker though and that size is still a very useful light\small tool for my needs. I look forward to seeing what comes in when I get the phone message. Some say these Husky contracted tools are a bit rough..... I am not that worried though as these are tools to me and not something to hang on a wall with a spot light. It was about half the price of a self stamped H.B. so I might even paint the head hi vis. orange. we'll see what comes in.

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
Last Mountain Lake? Or the Qu'Appelle Valley? I haven't seen that area in decades and tbh would rather not again:p. I like the bush too much. Funny to ''meet up'' on this side of the pond.:)

Buffalo Pound. It is a hard pill to swallow after living up in Prince Albert and having the Boreal forest on your door step. :puppy_dog It was a work related move. This is not permanent, I couldn't take it.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I find hults bruks better overall than GB or Wetterlings. The choice of model depends on what you want to do with it.

So would a Hults Bruk Forest Axe be that bit better for general bushcraft (limbing, light felling, splitting, roughing out craft projects, etc.) work than, say, the Wetterlings Outdoor Axe? I was considering the latter but might go for the Hults Bruk if you reckon it's worth the little bit extra...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE