Huge snake!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Well, not that large. ;) And not a snake but a baby slowworm, a recent one judging by the size. The coin is a penny for comparison.

huge_slowworm.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That's probably just days old, if that. The slow-worms by me haven't even dropped yet. The earliest recorded ones in this country by surveyors were only last week. Nice find.

Whereabouts in the country is that?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It's in my garden in North Surrey, and there's at least another near by. We've always had quite a few and do a fair bit to ensure there's suitable habitat for them.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cool, the first recorded ones were in Surrey too. Seems you are at least week or so ahead of the rest of the country for your neos. The first neo adders were recorded in Surrey too.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was zipping along a straight bit of country lane earlier today, and saw what I thought was a really big snake coming out of the verge into the road. As I braked and swerved, it scattered, revealing itself to be a family group of weasels! They were so close together I thought they were a single entity! Wonderful sight. I pulled over and watched them re-group and cautiously cross the road.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I was zipping along a straight bit of country lane earlier today, and saw what I thought was a really big snake coming out of the verge into the road. As I braked and swerved, it scattered, revealing itself to be a family group of weasels! They were so close together I thought they were a single entity! Wonderful sight. I pulled over and watched them re-group and cautiously cross the road.

Now you can't pay for experiences like that.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Absolutely! Mind you, that's the third time I've seen weasels on that bit of road. A few years ago I encountered a weasel dragging a dead fox cub on the same bit of road. The dead cub probably weighed more than the weasel! Mum must have been away and the cub wandered out of the den, and then been too helpless to fend off the opportunistic weasel. The cub wasn't very old.

The weasel left its kill when it saw me, which allowed me to see what it was. When I returned 5 minutes later (I was on foot) the kill had disappeared.

I'll stop now, as I'm in danger of hijacking this thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE