Hudson Bay Tobacco Tin Repair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ranger85

Dec 28, 2011
north wales
Hi the magnifying glass section has a big crack in it, doesn't really affect it but seems such a shame as they are dam expensive! has anyone had any experience replacing them? I've just ordered some magnifying glasses which I think have the same size glass (36mm) but it's the getting it out part in reluctant with!

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
If it's the magnifying glass which is cracked and you are 100% certain that the replacement glass fits, I would be inclined not to try to prise out the cracked glass and risk bending the brass surround. If the present glass is broken anyway, why not lay the tin lid down on a hard flat surface and from the inside of the lid whack the glass with a decent centre punch and take out the broken pieces? Then fit the new glass in the recess.

Having said all that I don't own a Hudson Bay tin, but I assume the magnifying glass just fits into a circular recess in the lid.
If not, then someone will be along with plan B....:D

Last edited:

ranger85

Dec 28, 2011
north wales
yes sets charcloth up very well especially on them hot days that we have had, I seem to remember I got a very good deal on it I can't remember for the life of me what website it was if I remember I'll post it up, think I paid around £20 for it which seems to be alot cheaper than I've seen them for

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I think they are around USD 25 or so?
I have never tried charcloth and sun rays, but have tried other natural materials.

Plus chased and fried many an ant with a magnifying glass.....
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE