How's the weather ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Still wet and windy here. Also very much a knife edge to the wind.
Two more mini power cuts last night. That makes seven in all over the weekend.
Roads closed due to flooding and trees down so can't get out of here as there have been no buses all day.
Phew ! Even so I reckon we got off pretty lightly compared to some poor folk.
Saw a rainbow today!
Still pretty much bunkered down. Started another pair of socks out of sheer boredom, and have eaten 4 large bags of crisps. Tried to bake some gluten free bread.... disaster again! I just can't make it. Still the birds will get a feed :)
Getting cabin fever despite trying to get out for a short "paddle" every day.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Gluten free bread really only works as flat bread. It bakes good cakes and biscuits though, and pancakes, and tempura, but not bread :sigh: Xanthum gum helps, but the bread's still not 'bread'.

One tree apart, we've gotten off very lightly indeed with this weather. Sodden wet though, and you're right about that wind. Feels like it's come from the Arctic.
I really feel for those folks who've been flooded, especially at this time of year. It just makes a disaster even harder to deal with. Not only do they have the clean up, but all the worry and hassle of insurance, etc., too.

I hope that's the last of the Winter storms by. I think we've all rather had enough of them.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I know Toddy. I keep trying new methods and recipes. The pictures always show a beautiful loaf, but mine is nothing like.
Trying some gf sourdough now. Just mixed up the flour and water and leaving to ferment for a week or more. I'm determined to get something decent someday!!!!!
I believe there is to be more of the wet stuff at the end of the week. Another low pressure system wending it's way from the states. Blinking yanks sending us all their rubbish weather! :) :) :)

Just checked the weather and south wales and bridgend is due another deluge on Wednesday too. I'm realy glad I decided not to go to the moot

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I found the sourdough worked, sort of, for a seeded bread with oat flour in the mix....and fresh yoghurt in the last rise. Doesn't need a lot but it helps.
On the whole I just avoid gluten free bread these days, and just very, very occasionally be bad and have some real stuff. Good real bread, with olive oil and humous and balsamic vinegar. It's a meal in itself :)
If you make the basic buttermilk bread, the kind made without any rising, just straight into the oven, the kind the women in towns made because they'd no time since they were working, that works for a hot loaf, but it's not brilliant for longer than just made and eaten, not with gluten free flours.
https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-buttermilk-quick-bread-with-10-different-variations-164621

I know the days are lengthening, I know the world is slowly turning green and colourful again, but I wish it could do it without getting battered to blazes with wind and hail.

I admit I was tempted by the Moot again, but am very glad I didn't go. The company is sure to be excellent, but the journey would have been a nightmare.
Coming home with all that wet kit to dry out wouldn't have been a lot of fun either.

I hope they're safe, and having a really good time though, and they come back and make us all envious when we see the photos.

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yep! Me too! I'd love to have gone but the weather doesn't suit me being outside for more than a few hours at a time presently.
I'm sure it will be very soggy and I admire their fortitude.
If I had a camper van it might have been a different story... but I don't, so I'm staying warm and dry!
Must admit I don't buy gf bread anymore either but I agree. I do get tempted by the co op olive bread, some good cheese a bit of salad some more olives and humous.
I can eat the whole loaf in an evening. Realy makes you appreciate good bread when you only have it occasionally instead of on a daily basis.
I hope you might be tempted by the summer Moot this year. I'd love to meet you in the flesh. I'm sure we would have quite a bit in common.

Reactions: Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We’ve had to adapt to GF because of the celiac daughter. I still don’t like of as light bread (loaf bread) but that said, even that makes a decent grilled cheese sandwich.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
We’ve had to adapt to GF because of the celiac daughter. I still don’t like of as light bread (loaf bread) but that said, even that makes a decent grilled cheese sandwich.

I'm gluten intolerant. I get awful belly ache bloating and other problems if I eat bread or wheat products . Still worth it occasionally though :)
Glad I'm not celiac.. it's bad enough just being intolerant!
I only buy gf bread if I need breadcrumbs for a dish I'm cooking. I crumb the whole loaf and freeze it.
I can take oats so I eat an awful lot of porridge and oatcakes!.
Good for the heart too.

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm gluten intolerant. I get awful belly ache bloating and other problems if I eat bread or wheat products . Still worth it occasionally though :)
Glad I'm not celiac.. it's bad enough just being intolerant!
I only buy gf bread if I need breadcrumbs for a dish I'm cooking. I crumb the whole loaf and freeze it.
I can take oats so I eat an awful lot of porridge and oatcakes!.
Good for the heart too.
I may have some good news but I’m going to P.M. So we don’t steal the thread.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It was cold last night. Well I felt cold taking the dog out just before 9pm. 5 minutes to the park, 5 minutes insane running dog and then back home to defrost. Lovely clear skies and good view of stars for a town as well. Surprised the van wasn't frosted up this morning it felt like it was headed that way last night.

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
What a surprise. It's wet again today.

Not even a fleeting moment of sun like yesterday. Dank and cold.
I'm realy fed up now. Can't even be bothered to get out of bed (lazy day that's my excuse).
I need chocolate in vast quantity! :)

Reactions: santaman2000

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Is it raining? I'm stuck in the bunker at work. No daylight, no windows, and no fresh air. Is it still light outside?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Raining ? that would be an improvement :rolleyes:
Hail, wind, spark of sun, Hail, wind, spark of sun, repeated endlessly since I got up this morning.
It's most unpleasant .....and we're not flooded, thankfully. This on top of the flooding must make it utterly miserable for those afflicted.

M

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
It looks like in the next few days there is a line of dancing lows in the north and a corresponding line of highs in the south and in between the air is happy to go too fast.

The next storm coming has already got a name in the papers here: Déjà vu.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Bit of sunshine today but it's gone realy cold again. I'm keeping my down coat handy along with the winter jeans giant brolly and waterproof winter boots.
I wonder what sort of summer we will get this year. Nature is confused. .... so am I!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm due to go over the pennines tomorrow afternoon. Just as a band of heavy rain is due. High winds too. Just great, just great!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm due to go over the pennines tomorrow afternoon. Just as a band of heavy rain is due. High winds too. Just great, just great!

You take care mate and if it looks dodgy stop and take stock on whether it's worth it.
Better to be safe rather than sorry.
Nobody will blame you if you turn round and go home or hole up somewhere.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It was beautifully sunny this morning, cold though. The the clouds came back and it poured.
Then it snowed. Then the rain came back.
Not a lot of encouragement to get outdoors and be busy :sigh:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You take care mate and if it looks dodgy stop and take stock on whether it's worth it.
Better to be safe rather than sorry.
Nobody will blame you if you turn round and go home or hole up somewhere.
Not in the van so the car should be better in the wind, more streamlined. Although I'm certainly happy to turn back if bad. A66 can get bad.

I was coming across once and further west of kirkby Stephens there's a steep hill going down. It's got a long view which also means a clear hit from Tue westerly winds. Once in a car with 4 people and 4 kayaks on the top going straight into the wind. The driver floored it but the wind was still slowing us down. We ended up at 30 to 40mph before we got to the bottom of the hill. We started at 60mph.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE