How's the weather ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We had it yesterday as well! :(

Supposedly we're due ice and snow and more gales.
Seems a bit better today, it's been very windy the last few days, lots of rain, rivers are near bursting. I had to get out a couple of times to reenforce the covering over the windows in the extension I'm building, that's fun in 60mph windy rain :D

It's blowing good-oh here. The bird feeder poles are swaying around like a mast in sail :rolleyes: and the birds are getting caught unawares and finding themselves going backwards :) I've unhooked the outside lanterns and taken them into one of the sheds.

I like wind, I like weather, but this weather, dark overcast, windy and wet, is not fun to be out in. Somehow it sets my joints aching :sigh:

Loads of spring bulbs shooting up though, and the first of the pignuts are just showing feathery leaves an inch high. The days are definitely drawing out :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I know what you mean about the old bones and joints giving you a hard time. My knees back and hands have been a complete misery for weeks.:(
Now my fybromyalga has kicked in too so I'm struggling big time as the muscles pack in too. Someone call the vet. I need putting out of my misery ;)
Today I dropped the sugar tin trying to make a cuppa. .. what a mess and total waste. I only filled it yesterday. !
Oh fluffy bunnies!!!!!!
I'll be better when I can get some warm sun into me. I think we are all longing for spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Very windy here yesterday. It was quite interesting trying to keep my boat in a straight line going down the canal.
I've tied her up using 5 ropes, she didn't move much last night. It's a beautiful day today though, just outside Congleton.

Cool, you going north up the Macclesfield? That can get interesting as Manchester approaches ;). We had a 55’ which was a swine to steer in the wind. Luckily the winds tend to come out of season so there’s plenty of room to chuck the aft end out and put some power on to correct it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The bulk fuel truck showed up a day earlier than expected = full tank.
That was my biggest woory in the cold, that I'd run dry again like Sunday.
Probably -35C or colder again this AM
Freakin truck is frozen shut and the battery is dead. They don't last so new one tomorrow.

Might as well do kitchen stuff like baking. apple/oatmeal/raisins/butter/applejuice/orange zest baked in phyllo pastry.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
Cool, you going north up the Macclesfield? That can get interesting as Manchester approaches ;). We had a 55’ which was a swine to steer in the wind. Luckily the winds tend to come out of season so there’s plenty of room to chuck the aft end out and put some power on to correct it.
I gave it plenty of revs and had to hold the tiller over. I had trouble coming from behind any trees and finding the wind blowing from the other side. All good fun.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Hunkered down here in mid-Wales waiting for Storm Ciara to finish her little tantrum - looks like we have another 24 hours to go with 65 knot gusts forecast for later today.

Fingers crossed but no serious damage so far a 5 minute power cut and just a few squirrel damaged branches down plus a sorry looking small/medium sized beech which has been sagging over a neighbour’s fence seems to have given up the ghost.

I really hate strong winds, nothing you can do about it apart from grit your teeth and hope for the best.

:emoji_cloud_rain::emoji_cloud_tornado::emoji_dash: :(

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I was up on our local National Trust land yesterday (when it was beautiful, warm, sunny) and am sure that there will be a bunch of new trees down by this time tomorrow :(
The only damage I see here is one of my neighbours' trampolines flipped over, smashed its protective netting and broke their fence a bit. Hope that is the worst we get. I don't like high wind either, and we get a lot less being further inland.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Here on the West Somerset / Devon border the rain does seem to have eased off, even stopped. It’s still very windy though.

Earlier on today the rain was sheeting down more or less horizontally and some of our trees were well and truly bent back, the wind roaring through them. There are a few adventurous pigeons flying around, but the crows and rooks seem to be having a rare old time hanging, soaring and rolling on the wind. Good for them! All of our usual garden birds are hiding away presumably until things calm down a bit. Even our ‘pet’ cock pheasant who would normally be tapping on the lounge door for a few sunflower kernels is conspicuous by his absence. He’s survived the shooting season so we will feed him as usual.

I have to drive into Taunton tomorrow, so perhaps then I’ll see if there are any local trees down. I’ll put the saw in the back of the car just in case - we could always use a bit more firewood :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It was nice yesterday but today is rough and stormy.

My Nesting box shakes constantly. Also weather like this is not good for my sleep. Its noisy and I can hear the sea. (3 miles distant)

Even if its very quiet the sea keeps me awake.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I love the sound of the sea to go to sleep with. I find it soothing. last night and today I've been listening to the wind in the trees. A very similar sound. I had my window open all last night and today so I can hear it.
Strange how a sound is lovely for some but flipping annoying for others.

Normaly it's so dark and quiet here you can hear your own heartbeat!
If I can hear the wind it's rough outside as I'm very sheltered here.

Last edited:
Reactions: santaman2000

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I find the sea lullng but I cant sleep with it. Good thing I dont have a beachfront Nesting box.

Another thing that bothers me is the full moon.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Magnificent winter day here. Bright, windless, snow showers maybe 4" today and -5C.
The freight trains are running so the line must be clear of avalanches and rock slides.
I can hear the loaders filling the sanding/plow trucks for the highway. Night music.
Needing new boot bindings for my snowshoes.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I remember moving into a mobile home on the day the big storm hit in the eighties.... you know the one dear Mr fish said wasn't going to happen.
It was awfully scary! The walls were bowing in and out with big pinging and banging sounds and the wardrobe robe doors kept comming open... and they squeeked !
Couldn't sleep a wink that night and I had to be up to start milking at 5am too.
I also can't sleep with a full moon.
I wonder if we have werewolf genes?​

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Another thing that bothers me is the full moon.

Me too. I often don’t even realise it’s around full moon until I’ve had a couple of nights of light sleep, flitting in and out of dreams. It does have well documented effects, my wife used to work as a psychiatric nurse in large mental health hospital. Always very busy with the lunatics (not derogatory, just illustrating the lunar bit) around full moon, it was just a fact things were going to be more crazy than usual.

Weather is calming a bit now in the south. It was bad early PM when I took the dogs out. I avoided the shelter of the woods, it wasn’t looking too sensible in there, and got up on the Downs. Fine until I got into the full uncluttered force of it whereupon I literally could not walk forward and turned back, having to keep myself side on to reduce my surface area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Presently there is a fantastic lightning storm here. No rain though at the moment. Hard to sleep with all this going on.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well survived ciara so far
. Still a bit windy but sunshine. Snow predicted for tomorrow.
Hope everyone is staying safe with no disasters.
We can't say our weather is totaly dull can we?
The lightning storm last night was a humdinger. Great to watch. But kept me awake for ages. Overslept this morning.
Still on yellow warning here for wind but both rivers seem to be ok. No flood alerts as yet.

Last edited:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Real four seasons in a day weather today!

Clearing up fallen trees and branches after Storm Ciara with random blue skies and sunshine, rain, sleet, hail and snow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE