Howdy from the Oregon Territory

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whit Spurzon

Aug 20, 2011
The Oregon Territory
Followed a friend over here from another Bushcraft forum and have enjoyed reading about your adventures, gear and techniques. Lots of good stuff and hope I can contribute to the discussions.

I'm in the NW part of the continental United States, though it is a lot more crowded than it used to be it isn't too hard to solitude if you're willing to hike. I'm a lifelong outdoor enthusiast enjoying the woods for as long as I can remember. Now that I'm in my 50's I'm finding the attraction to wilderness areas even more alluring. A few years back my wife of 30+ years and I purchased acreage in a remote part of our state. It had been a decades old dream of ours to have an out of the way place of our own, build a cabin and spend every possible minute there. After years of looking and research we finally found it and have been living the dream ever since. Bordering tens of thousands of Federal, state and Tribal wilderness we have a most incredible backyard.

Being a carpenter by trade one of my first tasks was building a shelter for us. We needed something that could be built rapidly and inexpensively with materials that we could purchase locally (within 50 miles). Basic utilities were no where near our site so had to depend on a portable generator. I designed a simple cabin and a 10 day gap in my employment allowed us to get the shell built.

cabinnw2.jpg

My lovely wife lacked experience but her enthusiasm more than made up for it.

southwallnailing.jpg

The days flew by but we managed to get weathered-in by the time we had to leave.

framingtheloft.jpg

In subsequent visits we finished the exterior.

uly9welevation.jpg

ableend3.jpg

Then the wife took over and the specifications and the expectations (and the price) went higher.

nterior_1.jpg

After a number of prototypes the boss finally settled on "random Rustic" - rough sawn Douglas Fir walls with dark stained window wraps, wall band, base and crown (future).

I built the cabinets in my shop in-between visits.

itchen2.jpg

We have made further progress but I'll save that for future posts if there is an interest.

The property and the cabin have been a HUGE blessing to us. We spend as much time there as possible and always dread the day we leave. The thing that keeps us going is knowing we'll be back the following month. When we're not there, we're thinking about there.

As I alluded to before, the area is amazing. Tucked away near the top of a beautiful valley we enjoy a wide variety wildlife. We have Moose, Deer, Black Bear, Mountain Lion, Bobcat, Turkeys, Snowshoe Hare, Grouse... There is also a nearby lake that offers exceptional Trout fishing. Plenty of hiking, camping, bushcraft and mountain bike opportunities too.

So after decades of searching, we are living the dream.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
Alright fella welcome to the forum!! that cabin you built is excellent...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello and welcome to the forum Whit :)

Got to admit that's one of the best intro's I've read in a long time, you've got me wanting to hear a lot more about your cabin and its surrounds :D

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Followed a friend over here ...

Welcome!

... a 10 day gap in my employment allowed us to get the shell built.

I'm impressed. Very impressed!

...Then the wife took over and the specifications and the expectations (and the price) went higher.

:rofl:

... made further progress but I'll save that for future posts if there is an interest.

Oh, yes, there's interest. In fact I think I can see a queue forming!

...So after decades of searching, we are living the dream.

Thanks for sharing. I'd be interested to see more of the design. What's in the loft space above the porch (or is that stoop?)?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Brilliant! Welcome to the forum matey, My brother lives just outside Portland, keeps enticing us with photos of your stunning state all year round, Beautiful place you have there chap!

Whit Spurzon

Aug 20, 2011
The Oregon Territory
Thanks for the warm welcome y'all. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I sure enjoy my visits here.

The cabin is a great base camp for my Bushcraft activities. Days seem to fly by and I seem to discover something new each visit. We have LOTS of critters which makes it even more interesting.

A few summers back my wife and I were sitting on the porch when this dude walked up.
une9mooserail.jpg

une9moose.jpg

Moose are crazy looking critters. I sure enjoy them. This year we've been getting regular visits from a cow and her two new calves.

This Brute seems to make his appearances during the rut. One of the nicest Whitetails I've seen in this area.
bigwhitail.jpg

Here's a nice Mule Deer that prowls around just up the hill from me.
nicemuledeer.jpg

One morning while eating breakfast this dude strolled by. Largest Bobcat I've ever seen - bigger than my 75 pound Labrador.
obcat.jpg

He sure is hard on the wild Turkeys and Deer. I find about three piles of feathers sans Turkeys per month and find two (avg) Deer per year he's killed on my property. A few years ago I came across a fresh kill site which was interesting in a CSI kind of way.

rackkillsite.jpg

There was just a few inches of snow on the ground so I was able to see where the Deer (a Mule Deer Doe) wandered into the ambush, where the initial attack was made and then here where the kill was finished. It didn't take long for the Coyotes to catch the scent and eventually drive the Cat off the kill and then shred it to pieces.
rackspineribs.jpg

Cats are mighty stealthy so its rare that I see them. We have Cougars too. Years back the previous owner of this property had one of her Colts killed by a big Cat. I worry a little about my Dog when we're out but so far she's been pretty good with the local fauna.

piperdeer.jpg

The Grouse have ad a couple of tough years with colder and wetter weather during the brooding season. I very much enjoy hunting these guys but have abstained from doing so while their numbers are down.
rouseinlarch.jpg

A critter we have a lot of is Bears. I have yet to get a good picture of a living Bear but their presences is very evident. Last year nearly every stump on my property was torn apart by grub eating Bears.
stumpbearsigncb.jpg

bearbackstrapsdinner.jpg

The Bears are mighty tasty in this area as their diet doesn't include fish. The Season opened up for them today. I don't specifically target Bears unless they become a nuisance, but I do enjoy getting out and looking for them.

Whit Spurzon

Aug 20, 2011
The Oregon Territory
Thanks for sharing. I'd be interested to see more of the design. What's in the loft space above the porch (or is that stoop?)?

Yes, there is a 12' x 12' loft above the front porch. The main floor is 12' x 16' and the porch is 12' x 8'. Very simple to build and cost effective. We've stayed there when the temperature has dropped below zero (Fahrenheit) and been very comfortable. We heat with a portable propane heater and it is very energy efficient, using less than a gallon per day to keep it toasty warm on the inside.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That is a great cabin, presumably you have a road leading to it? What about power for the construction, did you use hand tools or lug up a generator?

:)

Whit Spurzon

Aug 20, 2011
The Oregon Territory
That is a great cabin, presumably you have a road leading to it? What about power for the construction, did you use hand tools or lug up a generator?

:)

There is a road, the pavement ends about five miles away from my property but the road is good. In winter the snow is too deep to drive all the way in so a little bit of hiking is required. Unless I'm doing using tools there isn't much reason for electricity. I have a Honda Generator (Highly recommended) for the times I do need it.

sled.jpg

The propane range and heaters don't require electricity. We chose not to heat with wood or have any plumbing in the cabin due to the cost of the permits and taxes - it would have more than doubled the cost of the building and required us to meet standards that greater than we really needed or could afford, like minimum size, road construction, etc. We still feel mighty comfortable at this level of creature comforts, actually it's more like luxury camping.

yonderosabreakfast.jpg

snowday.jpg

rainbowoutpost.jpg

unset.jpg

"A better life, I don't know
Every night a picture show
Mountains painted by the setting sun
I'm one lucky son of a gun."

Lyrics from 'When I'm riding I'm right' -Wiley and the Wild West

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...The propane range and heaters don't require electricity. We chose not to heat with wood or have any plumbing in the cabin due to the cost of the permits and taxes - it would have more than doubled the cost of the building and required us to meet standards that greater than we really needed or could afford, like minimum size, road construction, etc. ...

Yikes! Didn't know you had to jump through those hoops and pay through the nose to heat with wood -- can you give us a breakdown of the costs and requirements?

Minimum insulation specifications I could understand, but minimum size? And road construction??

And do you not have to jump through the same hoops and pay the same taxes if you heat/cook with propane?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE