How to wax canvas? Anyone know?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have 3m of "loomstate" canvas which I hope to dye and waterproof to make rucksacks from. I'd like to try making waxed canvas but I have no idea how to go about it. I have seen some folks on here re-wax jackets and stuff, but how do you do it for the first time?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Just bought some paraffin wax and some beeswax to have a go at this.

Reckon I'll dye the canvas brown, then wax it, then knock up a rucksack out of it.

or maybe, dye the canvas, knock up a rucksack, then wax it?

Decisions...decisions...

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I use the greenland wax and the barbour thornproof dressing, both work but the greenland wax goes alot stiffer than the barbour stuff in cold weather, ive used the rub in/hairdryer or iron in with the greenland wax,with the barbour heat and melt the contents of the tin,then i used a paint brush whilst still hot to paint onto/into the canvas,finish off with hairdryer to get even soaked in finish.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just bought some paraffin wax and some beeswax to have a go at this.

Reckon I'll dye the canvas brown, then wax it, then knock up a rucksack out of it.

or maybe, dye the canvas, knock up a rucksack, then wax it?

Decisions...decisions...

Never tried it myself but it seems that if you knock up the rucksack 1st then wax it the seams will be waterproofed also whereas the other way might create a leak from the stitching.

barbaroo

Dec 11, 2011
Texas
I checked out this guys site for waxing canvas. He shows very clearly how to wax canvas. I followed his recommendation, and the waxed canvas came out perfectly - nice even coat and coloration, and non-toxic. He uses just beeswax and paraffin wax. Hope this helps!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Never tried it myself but it seems that if you knock up the rucksack 1st then wax it the seams will be waterproofed also whereas the other way might create a leak from the stitching.

On the other hand, with waxing after sewing it may be difficult to get wax into areas enclosed in seams, which could lead to moisture traps in the finished item. If the canvas is waxed before sewing, it should be possible to fill any needle holes by applying heat and working/kneading the affected area and applying a little more wax as requisite.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
colour the canvas then make your bag THEN wax, as this will waterproof the seams and stich holes.....

and dont forget the wax will make the colour darker...:)

hope this helps..

chris.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Centuries ago the used a mixture of linseed oil and wax to waterproof the Sails on ships, the recipe being so old there are no instructios as such, so, I experimented and found about 2 linseed to 1 wax melt together in a bowl over boiling water apply with a paint brush while the mixture is liquid and hot leave for an hour and the jobs a goodun, if there are any areas with excess wax , I just used a hairdryer to melt it and wipe off the excess. Hope this helps
ATB Jono

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE