How to use a primitive rock sling - an easy to learn and accurate technique

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
How to use a primitive rock sling - an easy to learn and accurate technique
Filmed this yesterday while exercising the dogs. Projectile was a golf ball.
[video=youtube;Tmso8KaC_Nk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmso8KaC_Nk[/video]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2011
Perth
I do love a bit of slingin'! The only thing that will tucker out my collie. I make them for tennis balls very addictive. Im slowly converting the dog owners in my town from using those crappy stick things to using slings.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I do love a bit of slingin'! The only thing that will tucker out my collie. I make them for tennis balls very addictive. Im slowly converting the dog owners in my town from using those crappy stick things to using slings.
Entirely possible that a version of the throwing stick for throwing a stone was used in antiquity. After all if the atlatl is rigid and used for spear throwing as an alternative to the ankyle then the stick could be an alternative to the sling.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
The sling generates much more speed with a stone than an atlatl does with a dart, and the projectile weights are about the same. I get half the distance with a dart as I do with a stone.

That is a good video. I don't bend my arm as much as he does, I find that a greater throw radius with my hand translates into more pouch speed.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
This is my current EDC sling, it is the template for the ones that were made by the Advance Slinging Class at the moot last year:

IMG_20140508_095407.jpg

IMG_20140508_095448.jpg

IMG_20140508_095630.jpg

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I made and used a leather sling some year's ago for a bit of experimental archeology "Hill Fort Defence" for sling stones I used round beach pebbles about the size of golf balls. I don't have my notes here, I was purely aiming for distance, artillery style sort of thing, less of the bullet with a name on it and more generally just aiming for massed ranks and more of a, to whom it may consern affair, practicing with golf ball's I could normally reaching out to around the 140-170 paces on the flat with lanch speeds inexses of 60mph, with a flight time of over 3 seconds, I also used a completely different throwing tequne starting with my back to the target and let the rock go @ approximately 45 degree's. I lanched some golf balls once from the top of the Little Conval hillfort 552 meters near Dufftown in Morayshire with a following wind , never seen them again, must have went 250 yards + with a vertical drop of nearly 300-500 ft , later that day going back down to the car " the car must have been about 200-300 yards out horizontaly with about a 200ft drop off the side of the hill, I let a rock go this time " full force as perusal" and it went for ages , way further than I expected or even thought possible and nearly hit the car , fortunately though it hit the single track road way down in the glen running between the Conval and Ben Rinnes and the rock just disintegrated into a cloud of dust, completely obliterated, now I'm rubbish with physics but according to Netons second law, an increase of approximately 80 mph over the origonal 60mph lanch speed and a crazy distance to boot " more than enough to put a dent in any centurions helmet ":).
Ended up giving the sling away to a girl fire dancing when I was drunk and couldint find the right type of leather again to make a new one.
Never mind, just to watch a beautiful woman dancing with fire was a show fit for a King.

Aye 18/9/2014

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
You might be interested in these videos then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQfWBL6G4lI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2usizN8hk4

This is myself and a friend lending our slinging skills to an archaeology experiment at Hod Hill in Dorset http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hod_Hill

As you can see we are maintaining a relaxed pace of a shot every six seconds or so. Thus, fifty slingers could achieve a rate of fire equal to a WW1 Vickers machinegun! This is why British hill forts had such large caches of slingstones.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
That's an excellent tutorial, Paracordist, its really helpful to see the comparison in technique broken down :) And the sling pouch pics are wonderful, Mr Morningstar!

I think my favourite bit is the bemusement on your terrier(?)s face as it falls for the dry cast every time though ;)

Giving away your beloved sling to a female fire performer is completely understandable, Pict :) I'm marshalling at the Barefoot Festival this year, they have an amaazzzing Girls On Fire cabaret on Friday night with gothic and tribal bellydancers, burning burlesque babes, fire hula and poi performances then a fabulous show by Combust UK on the Saturday.... can't wait :D What those folk do with flames is out of this world :)

May 16, 2011
Perth
I never got the hang of throwing like that, I throw a lot different but i only use it for the dogs at the moment so don't have to be too accurate but i get a good distance. I will try get the mrs to film me at some point.

These are the ones I make...

I really want to try to make a woven sling for targets so I think I will have to master that method when I do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE