How to use a machete in a jungle enviroment?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stroller

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 27, 2012
London
Keep your blade sharp, carry a first aid kit, a wear safety glasses or shaterproof sunshades. Cut bush often springs back for revenge, and a thorn in the eye is no joke. Avoid goggles, they steam up and look a bit naff. Buy in the farmers cooperative as the locals know what works in their bush.

Harry The Camper

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.yahoo.com
Don't mean to raise the dead, but in my opinion the "holy grail" of machetes/parangs is the duku chandong. (Top of pic)

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

There is a retaining pin in the tang, and mine is really well made.

IMG_0419.jpg

On the left, the rubber loop is for blade retention during hill descents or periods of non-use. Unnecessary really, sheath fits well.

I have decided that after about 4-5 parangs, this is the best so far. It is more a trail clearer than a chopper, good for slashing away vines, rattans, brush, zombies ect..

Sadly they are not really commercially available but are certainly worth looking out for if you are in Borneo.

Catfish1972

Feb 11, 2013
London
OK, so it's an old thread, but here's my two pence: buy your parang in country. You'll be able to choose from thousands, they are cheap (£4-£10 in Indonesia, £10-£20 in Malaysia) and they do the job.

One other point: some people (my mum included) seem to think that parang are for hacking trails through the bush. This is typically not the case - the jungle is a strange place, or rather a mosaic of strange places, but even in completely virgin forest you can usually move about without blazing a trail. Parang are mostly for chopping/splitting firewood, shaping wood, building shelters, digging for roots, cutting drainage channels around your shelter etc.

My favourite style of parang, parang Karo, comes from northern Sumatra in Indonesia.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE