How to select wood???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
This may of been asked before but i can't see anything relevant on a search....

To carve a spoon (or anything else for that matter) how do you go about selecting wood. In that i mean i know for a spoon it's benificial to have a slight curve etc but my problem is this.

I've tried on a number of occasions to carve a spoon, i have all the right tools saw,axe knife etc no crook knife yet but i can work round this. All the wood i have chosen looks fine. I can split it ok and carve out a rough shape. When the carving comes i end up either finding knots, rotten bits in the wood or layers (or rings) seem to split apart on carving leading usually to the wood breaking or becoming too thin.

Whats everyones method for selecting a good piece of carving wood, or where am i going wrong?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Alot of it comes from experience. Being able to look at a piece of wood and 'seeing the finished article'. Try and find pieces of wood witha natural bend in them and no small shoots off the side. If your not sure of a bit of wood, try removing the bark, that way you can see any knots of shakes in the wood before you start.
Good luck
Baggins

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
baggins said:
Alot of it comes from experience. Being able to look at a piece of wood and 'seeing the finished article'. Try and find pieces of wood witha natural bend in them and no small shoots off the side. If your not sure of a bit of wood, try removing the bark, that way you can see any knots of shakes in the wood before you start.
Good luck
Baggins

I agree...it all sounds a bit wierd, but when you're carving try and build a really strong image of the spoon you want to carve in your mind - the type of bowl, the size, the shape of the handle, the width, and so on. :eek:

Then try and visualise that coming out of the wood as you carve. :rolleyes:

In terms of nots, some that I've seen have added to the beauty of the finished article, but mostly it's a question of selecting the right piece of wood to start with. :togo:

Once you've "skinned" a piece of wood of its bark, it should be very apparent where the knots are. Try and work around them as you split the wood, and to chose the bits that don't have knots. If that doesn't work, get another piece of wood! :D

Phil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE