How to safely dispose of an old hand held flare ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.....and no, I don't mean the Scottish floor type, frocks or bellbottoms:)

Long story, but I have an old pinpoint red flare, with a replace date of 1999 :rolleyes:
I knew it had been kicking around for a while, but not just how long a while :eek:

Anyway; how can I dispose of it safely without causing grief ?

M

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Well if I was still fourteen I'd suggest that you take a hacksaw to it to see all the cool stuff inside, however once my dad had whacked me across the back of my head I'd see the error of my ways (yes this really did happen).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Take it to your local coastguard or RLNI station.
I once had to hand in a flare with a damaged cover and was told to take it to the local Police firearms boyos.
The receptionist at Carmarthen Police Station was a little concerned and asked me to wait outside when I replied to her question "Where is this flare with a broken triggering mechanism?" with "Here - in my pocket".
I had secured a safe and secure cover over the firing mechanism and it was safer than when I bought it!
Normally I would not carry flares in my pocket but the local Police could have been a bit nervous of a guy with a prominent nose, with a beard, carrying a rucksack that contained explosives... so I went in with both hands empty...
The firearms bloke just put it in and old tin ammo box and thanked me for not just dumping it :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think there are 18 coastguard stations that have the facilities to handle out of date flares, and I'm told by a friend who disposed of some about 15 yrs ago that the police took care of it for him; I somehow doubt if they would now, eh? ............but it's only a 'phone call..................You'd imagine the TA or Army Ordnance Corps would treat it as a training excercise, but perhaps I'm dreaming............atb mac

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Options to try;
Your nearest MRCC may be able to give you a heads up on local disposal.
You could try the local Police or the nearest Coastguard.
You could even try the local supplier of that sort of flare, some of 'em have a take-it back deal.
Of course the big hiccup, is that they( timexpyros) are classed as hazardous goods, not hazardous waste, so the local cleansing usually don't want to know.
Rgds
Ceeg

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The schoolboy that's still part of me wonders whether there's a way of launching it. Why a date? Do they really "go off" or is it just the manufacturer playing safe?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The schoolboy that's still part of me wonders whether there's a way of launching it. Why a date? Do they really "go off" or is it just the manufacturer playing safe?

You just had to say it, didn't you ? :D

See the temptation to pull the blooming thing :eek:

It looks in perfect nick, and it's one that you just hold in the hand too.

I'm going to be good and resist temptation .... knowing my luck I'd get an armed response unit and the polis chopper hovering overhead :rolleyes:

M

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Many moons ago I place I worked at disposed of hand helds on firework night. Loads & loads of smoke and kids loved watching them bubbling when they were put into a large container of water and amazed that they were still going after being taken out.
Not sure what the current guidelines are but as above, the coastguard should be able to advise.

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
Im sorry but i would have to set it off (obviously not near the coast!!!) can you not put it up for fireworks night?

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Wait until New Year/Bonfire night and then let it off, no one will notice!

I once found a pen flare and set it off horizontally - not a wise move with dry grass about!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Hell, I'd make sure I wasn't anywhere the coastguard would worry about and set it off.
There's a part of me (the devil on my left shoulder can totally kick the crap out of the angel on my right) that would have to have a go with one of those, just because.

Remember kids, fireworks and fun and totally safe.
whistle.gif

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If it has developed a fault and you tried to let it off it could be dangerous from a hangfire. Quench it if you had to with sand not water, as they did with German firebombs. Don't upset the applecart as at the moment I can just buy flares from a Chandlers and do not want permits etc. brought in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE