How to make a sheath unique? (or who makes unique sheaths?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
So as is becoming customary for a horrendous January day, I am trapped indoors and spending my "fun" money for the year in my head ahead of time, and creating a going to buy/wish list.

This year I am on a mission not to buy anything new (except a much needed bilmo-p5 oilskin tarp) but instead to upgrade the things that I already have.

To this end I would like to ask people who they think makes the best sheaths?

What can you do with sheaths to make them more unique or special?

And any other sheath based recommends?

Thank you for your time and knowledge, as I'm at bit of a loss, after a long while trawling the web.

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
I'm sure that's the truth mountainm, but time and leather work skill are something I seem to have in short supply.

I have made a functional sheath for a knife before but it just looks a little crap compared to most if I'm honest.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I would agree Luckylee or Topknot's work top notch.. Dreadhead has some great creative ideas as well....

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've had Dougsters and Agnsts leatherwork, both absolutely fantastic! As said All of the makers on here are great!

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
What can you do with sheaths to make them more unique or special?
UNIQUENESS: Make it to satisfy your prefered personal requirements. That may sound daftly obvious but I've never bought any sheathed edged tool that I felt couldn't be modified to serve me better.

When I started out in the 1980s (and before I had any idea or blade experience), I'd buy those horrible cheaply made, mass-produced "survival knives" popular because of their features. Sheath modification would usually be removing the gimmicks and junk before ending up seeking out a more usable knife.

What I learned (eventually!) was that a good sheath knife sells on its quality and simplicity. A well made bare sheath allows you to notice the superior build of the tool itself. Then I found that I'd want to add features to the simple sheath...

SPECIALNESS: Make it yourself. Tailor it to your way of working. Make it to be reliable. For me, making it by my own hands makes it extra sentimental.

And any other sheath based recommends?

How do you carry your knife? Are there variations to your carry method? Do you want to keep a sharpening stone on the sheath? And a ferro rod?

I'm sure that's the truth mountainm, but time and leather work skill are something I seem to have in short supply.

I have made a functional sheath for a knife before but it just looks a little crap compared to most if I'm honest.

Everyone starts somewhere. Unless you're really gifted, your first attempts won't be great. Skill comes through practice. Patience and a desire to learn are probably the most valuable "resources".

In my experience, the first of any new type takes AGES. I actually spend at least three times as long as the production process thinking out the design, considering the creation process, etc. I tinker around with bits to see what might work best and mull over ideas. When I feel that I've (over)exhausted every consideration, I'll make a start. I work at a slow, deliberate pace and I won't do too much in a day.

I'll add pics of the last sheath that I made. It was for a Frost Mora that I'd bought from a Car Boot Sale for £4 - with no sheath at all.

<I can't remember how to update my signature...>:confused:

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
I take my sheath for granted, these days, probably because it's served me so well over the years.

Made a long time ago before I'd known about carrying a ferro rod on the sheath. The pocket is for a small, basic sharpening stone. The blue, thin, narrow tape lifts the sharpening stone out of the pocket. I wanted it bright so that it's easily visible in low light.

There are multiple methods of carrying: on waistbelt; on lower part of a rucksack strap; on the yoke of soldier's webbing. The top velcro strip is just for the option of securing the top of the knife.

Made entirely from scrap offcuts from a roll pin cargo strap and 90 Patt E-Tool Case Cover, except for the leather hide bought at a car boot sale. The snapper stud was very CAREFULLY prised off a jacket then recrimped onto the sheath. (Incidentally, the 1' wide hide strips was originally someone else's "offcuts"!)

Sewing the hide required much thought and planning because my handcranked sewing machine simply isn't able to punch holes through more than 2x layers of hide. I finished the sheath by stitching by hand (pliers required) a strand from parachute line. This white stitching I painted green (enamel paint - can't be bought, these days), as can be seen.

A few months ago, I bought a newer, carbon steel Mora knife. I like the scabbard but it doesn't fit my waistbelt, is loose on my utility type strap (that I often improvise as a waistbelt), it doesn't enable a sharpening stone or ferro rod to be carried and I want it attach via PALS loops. So I'm currently at the tinkering/thinking stage of making a new sheath. The new sheath will be for the scabbard of the Frost Mora knife...

N0-1401130004-m001.jpg
N0-1401130005-m001.jpg

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
Thank you all so much for your comments, recommendations and help so far.

Fallschirmwomble thank you for the encouragement and ideas, will definitely have to man up and make at least one of my own later this year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE