How to make a really loud whistle out of wood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello I wanna make a really loud whistle out of wood and give it to my mom so I can find her in the woods... Should I go big or small in size of the chamber? The openings and so on... anyone got a loud whistle to show?

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I don't know much about whistles
I was told that low notes carry better over open land or water (like foghorns)
But high notes cut through stuff you can't see through, like undergrowth, brush and (in my case) stage curtains

So, for the woods you'll want a screamer rather then a moaner

The smaller the chamber the higher the sound, I'm sorry I can't help any more

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Buy a Fox 40 Micro Whistle, they're about the best there is!

Or, click here to visit the website which teaches you how to make a wooden whistle!
happy0054.gif

fox40large.jpg

Credit: County Comm.Com.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Ya fox40 whistles are good, I have a fox40 classic myself, just don't blow them in your backyard at night... Don't ask...

As for wooden whistles, HERE is a nice tutorial with pictures for making one from a piece of elder though I'm sure you could just use another type of wood and drill a hole through it if you didn't have any elder. I think Jon is a member of this forum btw.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I never tried making a wooden whistle, but the ones made from strips of tin are real loud and easy to make.

Mang

Settler
I've got quite good at the Elderflower whistles and I've nearly finished some made from seasoned wood (I've actually found some Wild Service wood).

I've drilled the chamber using a cordless drill and gone in about half way. The sound of the three I'm working on does vary as you can't make one the same as the next I guess. I'd recommend making one from seasoned wood because all three that I'm working are LOUD!

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Instrument makers (flutes, penny-whistles etc) like to use hard, dense woods as they give the 'brightest' sound, so a seasoned fruitwood would be good.......bone, antler and horn also work well

But if you know what you're doing (and have the skill and tools)you can make a working whistle out of anything

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQQXYNaoLj4

Can't vouch for how loud they are in person, but might be worth a shot :D Looks mighty fun, I need a local source for willow....

My Granddad used to make these, they can be very loud. The only problem is they don't last very long. After a while the bark starts to crack and it stops working. They are fun to make though and probably the easiest way to make a whistle in the woods.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
My Granddad used to make these, they can be very loud. The only problem is they don't last very long. After a while the bark starts to crack and it stops working.

About 60 years ago, when I was primary school age, we lived backing onto a railway. Periodically workers used to come along the embankment, cutting back the vegetation so it wouldn't catch fire from the steam engines. There were willows on the embankment and one of the workers showed me how to make a whistle in pretty much the same way as above. You're right though, they dry out pretty quickly and the bark splits.

Jim

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
You can also use lengths of small bamboo. Either use a node as the bottom of the whistle, or you can make a small wood plug, glued in as the bottom. The bamboo is quite hard so makes a good sound. I'll try fishing the one I have got...somewhere.:rolleyes: and post a pic.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Ok thanks for the tips. Perhaps it is very hard to make a loud whistle out of wood...

Haha that was funny :D.

Not at all. They are easy to make and they can get loud. I would make several of different sizes and pick the loudest.

If you have a piece of antler, they make great whistles as well.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
You can also use lengths of small bamboo. Either use a node as the bottom of the whistle, or you can make a small wood plug, glued in as the bottom. The bamboo is quite hard so makes a good sound. I'll try fishing the one I have got...somewhere.:rolleyes: and post a pic.

That is a great idea! Never tried that. I will have to keep an eye out for bamboo of the right size.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE