How to make a plaster from birch polypore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I for one have been using polypore plasters for a couple of years and will continue to do so. They are hygeinic and quite sterile and in my opinion better than modern restrictive plasters if you want to carry on using that digit. Plus however FAK aware you are, there will always come a time when you think nuts, it's only 2mins from home, don't need to carry more kit on a hot day like this. Which is what happened in the above pics. Still had a couple of Compeed pads though.

Ok, the more I read and hear about this kind of stuff, the more I'm turning off new kit and shiny new 'sterile' tackle. Man has survived, even prospered for thousands of years without the aid of sterile hypoallergenic silver impregnated breathable cushioning plasters.

Anybody out there used pine resin on a cut? Without tempting fate next time I cut myself out there I'm going to try it, there may even be some pictures next time if it's not too Hammer House of Horror

And as for the negativity, I wonder what the doubters would do with a cut in the woods and no first aid kit? Knowledge will serve you better than shiny kit.

Nil Illegitimi Carborundum Spamel, take heart mate, failing that, Carpe Jugulum!

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Yes, i've used pine resin on cuts on my hands. It does help to stop bleeding on minor wounds, and is a good temporary sealer. The only drawback i found was that if you carry on working with it on you it picks ups all sorts of grubby crap.

Andy >>>>>------------------------------------------<>

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
humm... that's one more I can add to my list. though personaly if I cut myself when I don't ahve my first aid kit (which is every time I cut my self, which is why my first aid kit is still fully stocked lol) I tend to use a plantain poltice. basically grab a couple of leaves of plantain (any will do though I tend to use greater or rat tail plantains as they are more common where I live) mash them up (or chew them) then place on the wound the juice stops the bleeding in secconds. (I even keep a packet of dried plantain leaves in my first aid kit ready for such a situation)

Oct 5, 2008
home counties
More knowledge and another skill learnt, if not yet practised. Thanks.
Like the cliche says....you can learn something new everyday. I get laughed at for my interest in bushcraft......and that makes me laugh. I'd rather learn something, nearly anything if it's useful or interesting, than vegetate in front of the tv .

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
More knowledge and another skill learnt, if not yet practised. Thanks.
Like the cliche says....you can learn something new everyday. I get laughed at for my interest in bushcraft......and that makes me laugh. I'd rather learn something, nearly anything if it's useful or interesting, than vegetate in front of the tv .

a great attitude to have. I had a friend a few years ago who used to call me rambo because of my intrest in bushcraft. well he soon stopped laughing when he sliced himself when not paying attention while useing a knife (yes he was an idiot) and I ripped up a couple of plantain leaves and tossed them to him to stop the bleeding. it's funny how people laugh at things they don't understand and are then gobsmacked when they find they need that which they were laughing at

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi, I want to know how you turn Birch polypore into a razor strop,Have seen it done on Tracks and other things,But I just want to check how to do it.
Many thanks
No worries I have found a thread on it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE