how to make a Kidney pouch more useful...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi I was told about his Mod the other day by Damascus, thought I'd try it out!

Firstly the 58"Kidney pouch, it has potential (usually sewn to an identical pouch).
DSCF2916.jpg

but it has a flaw...if you try to use the pouch on it's own, it sits too low down on the belt.
It's designed to be attached to the 58" belt and the 58" yoke supports the top.
remove the yoke and it flops rather disappointingly, it's top heavy...(not to mention the complicated archaic straps):yikes:
DSCF2917.jpg

Firstly undo everything, don't worry, this could all be done in 10 mins!
apart from anything else there's alot of unnecessary metal you're carrying.
DSCF2918.jpg

most of the parts now removed,

remember undo/cut/pick the stitches don't cut the webbing material, and don't cut off the longest webbing strap!
you now have some spare straps/fixtures to go in your sewing kit! (you never know);)
the 2 loose vertical straps now get stitched next to the white label.
DSCF2919.jpg

now when sewn in place the pouch now hangs at a sensible height from a belt.
The loose strap can be used to either tie to another pouch or used to attach a piece of kit to (e.g. a compass/penknife)
if you leave the lower metal rings they can be used to tie to other pouches to stop them moving about too much.
DSCF2920.jpg

hope you like the mod!:)

Last edited:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
How dare you bastar.. customise 58 webbing!!! :D

58 Webbing kidney pouches were only top heavy if empty or short like me, (lung pouches) and not attched to a full poncho roll, nor weighed down by a Tardis like **large** pack.

The fact that the kidney pouches bounced on your kidneys was the MOD's way of letting your body know that "You need a pee.. oh and while you're at it, you need to get rid of the Compo you ate".

Which is also why the attachment points for pick and helve, shovel were included. goodjob

Cheers,

Liam

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Don't worry I have a full set of "untouched 58" webbing I won't mod! :rolleyes: (i didn't separate it from it's friend...:nono: )

It was a spare pouch I was given that i wanted to use for something other than kidney abuse ;)

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Don't worry I have a full set of "untouched 58" webbing I won't mod! :rolleyes: (i didn't separate it from it's friend...:nono: )

It was a spare pouch I was given that i wanted to use for something other than kidney abuse ;)

Where were you 25 yrs ago?

If only you'd "Modded" them before I got issued.

When you say "you didn't separate it from it's friend" you dinny mean you've an auld bewildered squaddie still wearing '58 in the basement?

"Shhhh mate, the 3rd Shock Army are just overhead".

Best set him free, the backpay will be worth a fortune...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:rolleyes::lmao:

I didn't separate the 2 kidney pouches, I was given the single pouch already "separated" from it's "pouch" friend/twin :lmao:

The full set of 58" is all tuck up in bed ;) I read it a story about SLR's and steel helmets ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE