How to live a simple life

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Do a little research on the Rothschilds Para,and find out how many people they have massacred over the years.

Could you also tell us why one family should have the right to gather half the worlds wealth, when it was done through fraud deception and murder.

No thanks Poddle, I've better things to spend my time on. I think we could probably point that finger at quite a lot people with historically inherited wealth. What we should be looking at is what's happening under our noses - Mugabe, one or two other African dictatorships plus maybe our friend Jong. These people actually may be causing more suffering today than what the Rothschilds managed to achieve historically.

No thanks Poddle, I've better things to spend my time on. I think we could probably point that finger at quite a lot people with historically inherited wealth. What we should be looking at is what's happening under our noses - Mugabe, one or two other African dictatorships plus maybe our friend Jong. These people actually may be causing more suffering today than what the Rothschilds managed to achieve historically.

The Rothschild'ss are providing the money that allows these dictatorships to function, just as they funded each side in the last two wars in order to keep the wars going.

You need to look a little deeper my friend.If you can't be bothered to research the subject that's up to you, but how do you think a bankrupt country has continued to fight wars and buy arms?

The Rothschilds and own and run the central banks, its these banks that are responsible for the state that the economies are in.
Inherited wealth you say, well how about inherited stolen money and stocks.
You clearly have very little historical knowledge of Europe and it's banking system, how it was formed and how it has been manipulated, and how you are being manipulated, still if you have better things to with your time so be it.
:lmao:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Irrespective of the track that this thread has been diverted onto, I quite admire the bloke for trying to follow his dream. Living more simply or whatever you want to call it is something many of us could learn from.

ATB

Ogri the trog

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
The Rothschild'ss are providing the money that allows these dictatorships to function, just as they funded each side in the last two wars in order to keep the wars going.

You need to look a little deeper my friend.If you can't be bothered to research the subject that's up to you, but how do you think a bankrupt country has continued to fight wars and buy arms?

The Rothschilds and own and run the central banks, its these banks that are responsible for the state that the economies are in.
Inherited wealth you say, well how about inherited stolen money and stocks.
You clearly have very little historical knowledge of Europe and it's banking system, how it was formed and how it has been manipulated, and how you are being manipulated, still if you have better things to with your time so be it.
:lmao:

Well then - there you are, clearly you know best. I bow to ever so patronising expertise. Well done & all that. As a post script, which I'm sure will mean nothing to you, I've worked in International Banking for the last 25yrs but my hobbies don't include conspiracy theories.

They're watching you................

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Id missed this so thanks for the link,really enjoyed it,next week when he hits the road will be fun
for those overseas this may work ,it allows you to view things from other locations,i use it for Panadora (only recently changed to settings )which you can only use if in the states.

http://www.hotspotshield.com/
hope that is some help

That is fantastic! I used to listen to pandora before the blockout. Thank you! :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Guys, this is going places it doesn't need to, keep it on track please, it's about the TV programme not the politics of the world at large.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Imo, true self sufficiency is all but impossible in todays society. I live on the fringes of it..would love to be offgrid too but can`t at the moment, simply because I don`t have the cash to buy the various `eco` tech substitutes to put in place because, yup, I do like having things like hot water, etc.
As a history of crofting shows, most folks who live in the country and strive for self sufficiency find themselves having to spread themselves thin in order to make ends meet, so barter (usually by skills or goods) is a small but still essential part of that life (for example, I`m hoping to barter a sheepskin for a cockerel soon) but...
in modern life, where the powers that be try to pin you down on every aspect of your life, it is easy to give up striving and just play the social game.
For centures, there have been tanners (my livelihood) and when you stop and think of the contribution leather makers and furriers have put into cultures, well....
nowadays you must jump through hoops with Defra and small governmental bodies simply to obtain the license to follow your trade!
That other bastion of self sufficiency, growing your own food, depends too on so many factors....all of it is fine if you`re young, fit and have the time on your hands to begin, often, from scratch (how many downsizers, e.g, are lucky enough to take over a cottage in the country with fully established gardens, livestock et al?) but as you get older, supposedly simple things like breaking virgin ground to establish said gardens are harder each time.
And not everyone has the small village set up of helpful neighbours...many folks live, like me, in such a remote area that it is, effectively, dying out through lack of simple human habitation...reverting to the wild, which might sound idyllic but not if you are a human trying to carve a living here or simply, exist.
I think since the recession hit (or if you`re as old as me, since the seventies) the trend for self sufficiency and simple living has increased to the point where it is nicely packaged in a form that deceives so many people into thinking it would be easy.
The producers of such shows need to visit those of us trying desperately to live in the country, a simple life, with little to no cash, fewer resources each year (can`t remember the last time I was in a supermarket and this area, like so many others, has no dental services at all...) and an isolation which can break many folks not used to it or happy with their own company.
This isn`t a rant, honestly, just, all of the simple life/self sufficiency programmes I see, and books I read, tend to be set in some idyllic English countryside with pleasant helpful neighbours, shops within striking distance, and amenities on tap.
There`s a huge amount of folks that don`t have that, about time, imo, they showed that. :)

Been thinking about this a lot. You would need a way to make a living, or lots of little ways, to make off grid in the UK work.

It is amazing how much hard work, and time you need just to set something the size of an allotment up.

And the other bees in my bonnet are food packaging and flying in fresh fruit and vegetables from overseas. Do we really need fresh raspberries from wherever in mid winter?

The consumer world has just gone crazy IMHO

Is this not a part of what we are interested in? Preserving skills from the past, well methods of preserving etc are skills.

Have had a weird experience a few times, were you go into the Co op and see stuff for sale from all over the world. Cross the road, step into Netto, and the same stuff cheaper and from the UK. I am taking about weird stuff as well like peppers.

Back to the TV programme under discussion: the fatal flaw in his whole approach is that this is something you can't do alone. Sooner or later you'll wreck your back, catch an illness, or simply get old. At that time you're stuffed and become completely reliant on handouts from others, and you have to have like-minded people around you. Pure self sufficiency is a beautiful thing, but you're not going to have a very pleasant old age...

Wonder if one of the programmes is going to be more community based? Think a vicar could help a village do this more. Think about it, have a trading board at the church, and pass on information.

Bet the big problem would be things like heath and safety.

Well then - there you are, clearly you know best. I bow to ever so patronising expertise. Well done & all that. As a post script, which I'm sure will mean nothing to you, I've worked in International Banking for the last 25yrs but my hobbies don't include conspiracy theories.

They're watching you................

Yeah, we trust your experience. I know nothing about banking, but for over 3 years before it all went wrong I was telling people it was going to. You cannot tell me that the reason most of the big wigs in the UK were not hung for basically robbing the poor is because the ex top bloke is going to work for them now.

They are watching us, because you almost cannot buy anything, and it is getting worse, if you do not have a credit history. My mum went to buy a cooker cash in hand, and she could buy it but they would not deliver it unless she paid by card.

Ref the non-tax payers, there is a US based book about not paying tax, not sure if there is a UK version. It makes a big point about the fact that most of us, i.e. the poor(95% of the population of the planet), pay to much tax, because we do not have a group of people helping us to pay less or just avoid it.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hi Tricia.

You made some great points. I feel the program is more about staying out of the financial loop rather than about self sufficiency though. I like that it showed that through cooperation folk can get most of what they need. For example, I'm sure there are folk out there who would love to help you out in your efforts to become self sufficient in exchange for bed and board.

Self sufficiency is clearly a difficult goal but localised sufficiency with input from friends, family and neighbours may not be. I think the program shows ways towards that.

Rob

Free society is something I have been pondering for quite some time, is it possible to roam around Britain with no fixed abode on a sporadic income?

I did it around Europe for the best part of two years so yes, is is possible.

I could relate to much of what was said during last nights program. When you step out of mainstream society you find that not only your priorities change, but also the way you view yourself, the world around you and the way people interact.

I have experianced great generosity from strangers and have in turn helped a stranger in need.

All the way through this program I couldn't help thinking 'how well would he be doing without the cameras' All I saw him manage was to thumb a lift - all of the accomodation and food he received was gained by the helpful presence of a film crew.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Saw the second episode (and the first). The most inspiring character by far IMO was the Franciscan monk at the beginning. That said, clearly St Francis wouldn't have had a guy with a camera hanging around. But beyond that contrivance what came through is that those with the least to offer, often give the most. That's hardly a major revelation, but it was quite interesting to see it affirmed. Also, the key to 'begging' on his experimental spiritual journey was not so much the gifts themselves, but that not being able to give anything back is an important part of achieving real humility. Chris

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Purely as a matter of interest, having only seen the second episode, has this guy at any point addressed his attitude to services (such as doctors and hospitals) that are paid for by people who do work? Does he expect (as of right) to have access to these services to which he does not contribute?

Red

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Purely as a matter of interest, having only seen the second episode, has this guy at any point addressed his attitude to services (such as doctors and hospitals) that are paid for by people who do work? Does he expect (as of right) to have access to these services to which he does not contribute?

Red

That's not been mentioned yet BR. There's bound to be a fair bit of 'conversation' if he does. ;)

In his case I wouldn't see his problem because he's probably paid a fair whack of NI over his life anyway. For others outside the system I can understand arguements for and against.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting and a "convenient omission" to a lifestyle choice in my view. Wanting to avail yourself of things you see no responsibility to pay for is hardly fair on the rest of scoiety in my view

S

sccadmin

My understanding so far:

After he saw the monk it became clear that he had his approach wrong. Its not about self sufficiency, in fact its about the absolute opposite. St Francis of Assis was saying that you have to be completely dependent on others to supply your needs.

Growing your own veg is completely the opposite approach to what St Francis preached as your relying purely on yourself.

Begging for others to give to you for no return is exactly what St Francis preached.

Your reward is giving them the chance to be generous and therefore feeling the emotional reward from giving.

In return you get whatever you asked for and the chance to develop meaningful relationships.

He is a bit of prat though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE