How to join tarps?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi I've just bought some army ground sheets (rubberised canvas circa 1950).
they are 90" by 190", I'm planning to join them together to make a much larger tarp, but I need to make a fairly good join.

around the edge are holes probably intended to be used with string or metal skewer type pegs(as if someone has used a hole punch) this is where I want to join the next tarp.

i feel, I need something like paper fasteners, but more robust :dunno:

I could rivet them together but that is a bit too permanent.

or I could add poppers (to the ready made holes) but they'll always be on the fabric.

any advice? what do you think?:confused:
cheers
Rich

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Were these type of tarps meant to be laced together? I'm thinking of either a continuous line or the loop system on the front of tents (I think it's called a becket)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I’d say either lace them up, the same way as a marquee is laced, or join them with thin wooden sticks, (like the front flaps of a tepee)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
are they the plain oblong ground sheet with just the small holes running round the outside or the ground sheet/cape with holes and buttons, if its the former they are very hard to make anything out of due to the fact the distance between each hole is quiet large,which would make sealing it using a clip or lace system through the holes not very effective,i tried with two tan forties ones a few years ago to make a sort of bivy for may blankets but it wasnt very effective,and with alot joined it would be a bloomin heavy tarp. just noticed you say they are 90 inches by 190 inches, obviously not personnel issue ones as they were about 30 by 72 inches or 2.5ft by 6ft.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
These are the 4 tarps in question put by side to show how big the resulting tarp would be. (p.s. i am about 6ft tall)

Picture027.jpg

I've tried simple lacing and the holes are too far apart, leaving gaping holes inbetween.

I’d say either lace them up, the same way as a marquee is laced, or join them with thin wooden sticks, (like the front flaps of a tepee)
i like but Have no knowledge of.

Were these type of tarps meant to be laced together? I'm thinking of either a continuous line or the loop system on the front of tents (I think it's called a becket)
nah, I'm pretty sure they are groundsheets. I do know the system you mean, like on old scout tents, but again the holes are too far apart.

Velcro (stitched or glued)?
I thought that too but it would leave holes or glue patches if i wanted to separate them.

are they the plain oblong ground sheet with just the small holes running round the outside or the ground sheet/cape with holes and buttons,
I have one of those capes too, the groundsheet holes and size match exactly with the capes "square half".

I'm thinking of using the finished tarp for Bushcraft demo's I do, somehow canvas is more "real" than DPM, if you know what i mean (and yes i have DPM tarps);)

I'm starting to think a light framework (similar to a window frame shape)would be a good idea!:confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE