how to cook fray bentos pies in camp fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've had good experiences when using metal sweet/biscuit tins (Full metal bread bins are excellent for longer term/group use). If you'd like to experiment then try using the tin upside down and without the lid - it's a lot easier to check on the pie(s) progress!

The same metal tin can be used for a bushcrafters Sunday roast too :D
And as a smoker - I saw Jamie Oliver use a biscuit tin as one.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I always save the tins anyway as I am a cheap skate (most of pies I make at home are cooked in the) and I have cut the rim of one of them so if I turn it over it will sit in the lip of another as a lid.

In this way I have baked bread in the ashed with a few coals on the top one.

I would have thought that you could do the same thing with the pie it self.

e.g. take a rimless one as well as the pie.
remove the lid off the pie and sit it in the ashes.
top with the rimless one and put some coals on top.
and bake al'a dutch oven.

From my bread experiments I must say that you have to be careful removing the ash and coals from the top without getting some on the contents.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nigel cooks fresh pizza in a Roses tin:) but then, he likes to cook fresh fish and chips over the fire as well:cool:

plus when we are cooking a full English brekkie for half a dozen people of more, a Roses tin by the side of the fire keeps the bacon, sausage, black pud, mushrooms and toms warm while the eggs and bread are fried

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Rik_uk3

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: PMSL! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Excellent!

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
e.g. take a rimless one as well as the pie.
remove the lid off the pie and sit it in the ashes.
top with the rimless one and put some coals on top.
and bake al'a dutch oven.

From my bread experiments I must say that you have to be careful removing the ash and coals from the top without getting some on the contents.

Try using the rimless one as the bottom, that way the majority off the ash should fall off the sides without falling in.
For use with a pie you'd have to transfer the contents, or maybe cut off the rim and use an old rimmed one for the lid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE