how to cook fray bentos pies in camp fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
hey people :) anyone have any idea how to cook a fray bentos pie that comes in the tin in the camp fire? i was thinking remove the top then place it back on again and cover in coals/ashes? i havnt had chance to try yet, so before i do i thought i would ask if anyone had done it :eek:

B

bushyboo

always wondered about that too thought about covering in coals but then when it cooks and the pastry rises would it lift the lid and get burnt ?
very good question though should be some good answers

Gordon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No Idea.....but make sure you *do* remove the top. My Mum popped one into the oven for my little brother's lunch and forgot.......the explosion was spectacular :D it blew the hinges squirting a ring of fraybentossteakandkidneypudding all around the kitchen :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Actually, how about removing the lid and then put the tin and contents into a big billly with some stones underneath. Put the lid on and it'd act like a mini oven.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
How about placing one on the upturned lid of a suitable sized billy then putting the main part on and covering that with ashes?

Could stand the pie tin on 3 pebbles to prevent burning.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you haven't got a proper dutch oven you could turn an old metal ammo box into an oven.
I have done this on many an occasion an it works a treat!;)
A friend of mine got hold of a 30mm Radon Cannon ammo box which is going to make one hell of a field oven.:D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Similar to what Steve R said but put the main billycan upside down over the top of the pie tin, this way you wouldn`t need the lid tin lid on and the pastry could expand into the void. If you`ve got some of the old Bulldog style tins this would work at treat. You could use an old coffee tin and punch a hole in the top also.

Let us know how you get on as I REALLY like my pies.

Rich

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Best Thread for yonks:You_Rock_ I have often wondered about this too. So next Kent meet Look Out its pies on the menu.:lmao:

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
after xmas save the tin from roses quality street etc put the pie in that and leave on some hot coals with a few coals on top make a small hole or just stab the roses tin so too much pressure doesnt buildup. and take the top of the fray bentos tin 1st.ive even heard a story of a guy who cooked em on his electric fire which he laid down flat.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Blimey, I never thought about a quality street or roses tin. There's even a slight depression in the lid so you could put hot coals on the top. Instead of punching holes in the lid, you could make a few on the side, just below the lid so pressure can escape. A small cake stand or tea pot trivet placed inside would lift the pie off the bottom and prevent burning. I'm sure you could bake bread or rolls this way too.

Eric

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Could you not just punch a couple of holes in the Fray Bentos tin lid so the pressure doesn't build up and bung it in the embers?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Could you not just punch a couple of holes in the Fray Bentos tin lid so the pressure doesn't build up and bung it in the embers?

Thing is with the old Bentos pies is they have a puff pastry lid which needs to rise when cooking, the top needs to be open really.

Does anyone else think the pasty looks disgusting before being cooked, the first time I bought one the wife nearly took it back to the supermarket because I thought it had gone off.

Rich

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
Blimey, I never thought about a quality street or roses tin. There's even a slight depression in the lid so you could put hot coals on the top. Instead of punching holes in the lid, you could make a few on the side, just below the lid so pressure can escape. A small cake stand or tea pot trivet placed inside would lift the pie off the bottom and prevent burning. I'm sure you could bake bread or rolls this way too.

Eric

just use a few pebbles in the bottom of the roses tin

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
after xmas save the tin from roses quality street etc put the pie in that and leave on some hot coals with a few coals on top make a small hole or just stab the roses tin so too much pressure doesnt buildup. and take the top of the fray bentos tin 1st.ive even heard a story of a guy who cooked em on his electric fire which he laid down flat.

Now thats a Quality(Streets) idea!:D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've had good experiences when using metal sweet/biscuit tins (Full metal bread bins are excellent for longer term/group use). If you'd like to experiment then try using the tin upside down and without the lid - it's a lot easier to check on the pie(s) progress!

The same metal tin can be used for a bushcrafters Sunday roast too :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE