How to cook bannock?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I can bring baking powder if you need some. Got an order in for tomorrow to be delivered whilst I'm at work! If you don't use baking powder, the bannock won't rise. You'll get a roof tile instead of unleavened bread!

Roof tile is probably my style! but cheers if I can nick some baking powder as Id like to have a go at bannock. Im not going to have time to go to the shops in the morning, unless the shop near the campsite sells any, but it was fairly small so its doubtful. Im sure flour milk and baking soda make something edible anyway.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'll bring some suet as well then, a bit of shortening makes it taste a whole lot better. Un;ess you're a vegetarian? I can't remember, but I'm sure you had a burger king or Wimpy on the way back from the Moot so I'm guessing not! Strangely enough, I drove right past your Phils' place yesterday!

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
bakestones work well if you are canoeing/car-ing its the size not the weight, mine is cast ally and weighs surprisingly little.

Also to stop them burning on the bottom try those silicon bake pans especially the round 10" one work well (ASDA do them for a fiver), also work well in my dutch oven, shove in your sack well, great as a mixing bowl and as a chopping board. Next I am going to try them next direct on the hot ashes.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
This one is aimed at clcuckow ...
Do I read you right, pop the mix into a flexible silicon dish
pop that into your metal pot
lid on and then onto a low to medium heat

Has anyone treid this,

got to be worth a try?

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I have only use the silicon dish in my cobb charcoal oven, dutch oven and on bakestone with a large billy upturned over the top. The real advantage of the bakestone is that it equalise the heat as is great for drop scones, pancakes, English muffins, pikelets, crumpets and not forgetting welshcakes. I got an unseasoned one from this eBay seller http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/bakestone_W0Q...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 for £20 inc pnp.

One tip if you do get anything useasoned. Season it in the oven and not on the hop, it's a lot kinder on the eyes :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
If you have a copy of Mors Kochanski's bushcraft book, he gives a very detailed account of how to cook bannock on a stick. Worth a read, especially if you don't want it falling in the fire. :(

My favorite way of cooking it is in a reflector oven.

bannock0b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE