How to cook bannock?

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Finally, some time without my kids or having to go into work! Waterbottle, filtration kit, some other bits and pieces into a pouch with some dry bannock mix and off to the woods.

But, it's my first time cooking bannock over a campfire and it didn't go quite to plan! It fell off the stick and stck to the crusader mug :(

So, what is the best way to cook bannock?

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I generally cook it in a lightly oiled frying pan on a bed of good hot embers - about 7 minutes a side, depending on how thick you make it, turning as necessary.

My recipe:

Base mixture.........

2 parts plain flour
2 parts milk powder
1 teaspoon of baking powder
+ just enough water to bind the mixture into a just moist dough

Then add whatever you want, grated cheese, sultanas, hedgerow berries, chopped fried bacon, ham, etc, etc!

If I'm doing a "sweet" bannock, I usually add a heaped teaspoon of sugar and/or drizzle a bit of honey over it.

I spead it out so that it's about half an inch or so thick in the pan and it usually ends up about an inch thick when it's cooked.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There are methods on the front page of the site, Hoodoos' recipe seems to be the best. Scruff makes it but substitutes water with stout! You get a proper nice puffed up bannock, and the addition of a few spices such as chili and cumin seeds makes it a taste sensation.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Or make a batter and fry it as american style pancakes. Womble up a few blackberries and a drizzle of maple syrup - makes a cracking breakfast. I often bake it inside a durch oven - for sweet I add brown sugar and wahtever berries are about

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
My way
make your bannoch as per John Fenna's mix and instructions. (found on this site)
fry up four or more rashers of good dry cure bacon (set aside)
In the fat that remains in your cast iron frying pan press the bannock dough out until it is about 5/8 of an inch, cook over hot even coals until light brown, turn over and cook the other side. cover with a metal lid until cooked through. eat with bacon and eggs. :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Try bacon and cheese! I went out with Scruff and The Ratbag a few weeks back and Scruff made his infamous bannock. meanwhile The Ratbag was busy frying a whole pack of smokey bacon and the bannock was sliced in half (Don't worry about the old bannock shouldn't be cut rubbish!), lashings of gouda slices placed on, all the bacon and the top put back on. It was so simple and yet very tasty and filling too!

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Thanks for the advice guys.

Recipies aren't too much of a problem. I did a savory ( beef jerky & spices) and a sweet (sultanas, almond flakes and chocolate shavings). They tasted great, but stuck like buggery to the tin! So much for teflon crusader mugs!

BRed - lightly oiled the pan eh? I'll have to remember that.

Thanks,

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
When it is sticking, it's because the heat is too high. Try moving your cooking vessel higher above the flames so you get a good cooking heat instead of a scorching heat. Scruff cooked his bannock on a civvy Trangia in the frying pan and it didn't stick at all. There is a bit of suet in the mix so it does self oil if that's possible! It comes out very bread like though, and not oily at all.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Another way to cook it is with a 1-2" diameter stick and some green smaller sticks. Take your dough, wrap it around your stick, debark and sharpen the smaller sticks, push them through the dough and out the other side.

you end up with a "mace" looking ball of dough. Now roast over the fire.

worked well for me....

Cheers,
D

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Or make a batter and fry it as american style pancakes. Womble up a few blackberries and a drizzle of maple syrup - makes a cracking breakfast. I often bake it inside a durch oven - for sweet I add brown sugar and wahtever berries are about

Ill testify to how good Reds maple pancakes are ;) - Mmmmmmmmm :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
John's recipe is good, you don't need a cast iron pan though. Dried fruit, honey, Italian grated cheese, all boost flavour. Best bet is to practise at home first, I do this with all my camping recipes, don't wait until you are out camping before you try and cook a new meal

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Cooked my first ever bannock yesterday, i used Mungo's receipe and it turned out really good, did slightly burn it but it went down a treat. I did mine on the gas hob at home. Got the bug now !!!!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I couldn't get powdered egg where i work so i got a vegan alternative from a well known health food store, it seemed to work out ok.:D

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Cheers Andy,
must go there soon, got a big one just down the road, but never thought they would stock it.lol. I'll pop down this week and see what camping gear is on offer as well.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
can you use fresh milk with bannock instead of powdered?

Is the baking soda totally nessesary?

(you can tell what I forgot to buy at asda today can't you!)

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
can you use fresh milk with bannock instead of powdered?
you could use it instead of the water... but only use enough to make a stiff dough, same as for water.

Is the baking soda totally nessesary?

(you can tell what I forgot to buy at asda today can't you!)
I guess leaving it out would give you a biscuit?... what about using self raising flour instead?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I can bring baking powder if you need some. Got an order in for tomorrow to be delivered whilst I'm at work! If you don't use baking powder, the bannock won't rise. You'll get a roof tile instead of unleavened bread!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE